Tecumseh HS40 Angle Mount Oil Capacity

When you mount an HS40 on an angle, do you need to reduce the oil capacity?

I have 21 ounces in my 80's HS40 but the angle mount dipstick says it's over capacity & it's full to the filler neck.

thoughts?

My understanding is that Tecumsehs can be angled to 15 degrees with no issues. The lubrication system is a splash system, so as long as the dipper is slinging oil around, you're good to go.

My understanding is that Tecumseh can be angled to 15 degrees with no issues. The lubrication system is a splash system, so as long as the dipper is slinging oil around, you're good to go.
I thought the same thing. But when I kicked the motor over I think I blew the head gasket. I'm getting oil dripping from the bolt closest to the ground.

The motor I had purchased from a guy who sent me a video of it running but I never started it myself until now. So possibly it had a head gasket issue prior.

My concern is the dipstick meant for a slant mount puts the oil level too high.

I am going to pull the head on my Tecumseh HS40 Model: 55565K in the next few days.

I'll let you know what 21 oz. did to it. Should be interesting.

I figure, if they sell a dip stick for the purpose of using on a slant mount. it must mean you need less oil, since the safe zone is lower.

I am going to pull the head on my Tecumseh HS40 Model: 55565K in the next few days.

I'll let you know what 21 oz. did to it. Should be interesting.

I figure, if they sell a dip stick for the purpose of using on a slant mount. it must mean you need less oil, since the safe zone is lower.
The oil level on a Tec HS40 is 21 ounces. Period. That is from "dry." If you have a "wet" engine, even with drained oil, you will not need 21 ounces of oil. If you added 21 OZ of oil to an engine that was not "dry," meaning, brand new, or freshly rebuilt and oil free, 21 OZ of oil will over fill it.

Trust that fancy Rupp Parts $15.00 dip stick. Or fill to where the oil level just barely reaches the bottom of threads on the fill plug.

Your oil level did not cause anything to go amiss with your head gasket. The ONLY indication of over filling on these engines is extra oil being pushed out through the breather assembly. It is not that big of a deal. As was explained earlier, or in other threads, these are oil slinger systems, where a dipper on the end of the rotating assembly throws oil all over the place, lubricating the rod and cam bushings.

Before you remove the head, check the torque on the head bolts. They should be at 200 inch pounds.

I believe I will attempt to set my Rockford Fox Condor on a counter angle so the engine is level.
Then filler it with the 18 OZ. of oil recommended by my local speed kart shop.
Hey its worth a shot..
If the oil doesn't reach the threads I will hit it with more.
Sorry about your head gasket C. B.