The building of a bogus BC1500SH

Hi everyone..... Your imput is welcomed here :thumbsup:

As the title states....

It's not a original, but has the parts to make for a nice minibike.... Be it bogus or not, at least in my eyes it will be a nice mini because I'll be riding it up here in SACTO :thumbsup: the starting point as many of you have already seen....

Onward....

I have started with the front light for now.... The chrome is OK, but the switches are toast, one broken and the other one is frozen....

The wiring inside the housing is in perfect shape right down to the wire nuts, it's just past that point that the wiring harness is junk... Way too many hands in the thought of making electricity flow to various points in the past life of this 40 + year old minibike. So i cut the wiring just past the wire nuts and took it apart for rebuilding/plating....

I have looked for these toggel switches that were used with the ball on the end of them that were used back then. I found some on EPAY for the very reasonable price of $2.00 for a switch. Here's the link if you are in need of them for your restoration.... TOGGEL SWITCHES I have yet to have them in my hands... they are on the way and should work just fine for the light ( One will need to be modified though to work for this application) Not a big deal and they will look great once mounted back in the housing :thumbsup:

While I was on EPAY.... I picked up this NOS Hodaka ACE 100 air cleaner and mount, specific to the Hodaka engine being mounted in a Bonanza frame for a $100.00 after some dealing with the owner....

I've looked at alot of pictures of the Hodaka Bonanza.... All of them being assembled..... "EVIL ED" :thumbsup: clued me in on whats up with the "SH" Bonanza mini, Thanks Ed :thumbsup: My frame is missing a mounting bracket for the tank and my frame has seat mounts for a wood seat.... I have a "MX" fiberglass seat that Ed pointed out to me one night. I'm not a big fan of the seat hanging out over the tail light, which I will be using .... so the shorter "MX" seat will work perfect for my use. I'll be adding a third mounting bracket for the tank that Ed is building for me :thumbsup: and relocating the seat bracket so the "MX" seat is where I want it to sit on the frame....

I was also looking for a Hodaka pipe on EPAY last week.... I stumbled across this one that was not listed correctly (Good for me) it's a Strader Engineering pipe that is NOS and made for a Hodaka 90/100 engine some 40 + years ago. No model number of bike nor part number was listed in the auction as follows..... "Strader Hodaka 90/100 pipe" was how it was listed on EPAY....

I sent the EPAY auction number to Roger Lippiatt and Paul at STRICKLY HODAKA and they told me that they have never seen this particular pipe made by Strader Engineering. I bought it on a buy it now for $225.00 and now that the pipe is in my hands...... it fits the Bonanaza frame like a glove.....

BC1500 DAVE :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words sgv :thumbsup:

I too.... Can't wait to see it finished and puffing some smoke out of that pipe :scooter: as you very well know .... I'm just starting on the bike and have a long way to go till the smoke thing happens :mad2: But when it happens I will share it with you via a U-TUBE video.... My son is ready to go on this part of the build (U-TUBE videos) Thanks again sgv :thumbsup:

Yes Dave, you have the SH / BC fiberglass seat which is about 16 " long.
Bonanza also made an MX Bonanza fiberglass seat which is about 14 " long. The MX seat pan is made different than the SH/BC pan. You have the SH/BC fiberglass seat pan. I have the MX seat pan on the bike in my avatar.

BC DAVE

Ed....

You are 100% correct here :thumbsup: the seat that is in question, which is fiberglass and the one I'm using is just like you called it. just how did you know ? :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:....

Ed.... I picked up this cap for your tank :thumbsup: it's a standard type cap.... coarse threads and all.... just so you know what I'm using for your tank :thumbsup: .....

Seeings how this is a "BOGUS BC1500 SH" and I didn't have a engine :mad2: .... I went a hunting for one. i came in contacted with Paul @ "Strictly Hodaka" and he in return hooked me up with Rogger Lippiatt.... They say he is one of the best when it comes to Hodaka engines.... A few talks over the phone.... I was sold on a "SUPER RAT 100" for my bogus bike :thumbsup: As Rogger put it.... It's the "Hotrod Engine" made from Hodaka. Better head/cylinder/bigger carb and a LOT BETTER transmission (Straight cut gears)..... So I bought one from him ready to go :thumbsup:....

The only thing I have done to the engine is "Hardwire" the coil to the mag.... I'm not one to rely on connectors.... I'm a solder/shrink tube type of guy when it comes to wire connections....

I've have bolts/parts to go through.... So I can make a run to the plater's shop :doah: Thanks for your kind words :thumbsup:

I have a very similar project on the back burner. Might I ask what the engine cost and do you know of any more E pipes like that anywhere. You can PM me if you don't want to say what the engine cost. I have kbs8ball making me a seat as we speak.

Thanks, Fred

Cool.... I'm glad you guys are diggin it as much as myself :thumbsup:

I'll send you a PM there "Flea" it wasn't cheap :doah: It came with a new head/jug/piston(std.bore)rod/carb/bearings/gears/shifter/kick starter and so on .... Besides the labor. I'm running parts around right now and have been very busy with this project :thumbsup: * Ed your parts are on their way to S.F.V. :thumbsup:

I need a little help here on the rear brake light switch and how it's rigged up....

I'm not knowing how it's hooked up (the spring that comes off the switch) and where it goes :shrug: anybody have a picture showing me how to hook it up correctly. Thanks for your help :thumbsup: I did do a search and I coudln't find anything on it :mad2:

Last edited:
Well....

I just spent the last two hours going through old posts and I found this picture :detective:.....

.... And I'm now in the know on how the brake light switch is rigged up :thumbsup: If I'm not mistaken .... I have the original parts that go over the brake cable by the look of the picture that I found. The frayed cable in the picture gave me my clue. :detective: Now just to find that rubber cap that fits over the front of the brake switch :mad2:

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind words "ACE" & "SLY" :thumbsup:

Ya know many are thinking ..... Why didn't I put a Tecumseh back on the bike and RESTORE it back to it's way it left downtown San Jose :thumbsup: and you are right.... I should have..... But, as you can see I'm not because the Hodaka engine series of bikes made by Bonanaza were in a league all of their own back in the day. They were stupid fast and I like stupid fast :thumbsup:

Johnny B. took care of me in the short time that I was at his house buying the BC1400. Everything was stored in a box that pertained to the bike as he took it apart after he purchased it from the original owner, I always woundered why there was two of these.....

.... And now I know :thumbsup:

My light switches came from London the other day and will work just fine for the head light and it's soon to be restored condition....

I bought this wiring harness made for a BC1500 SH from STRICTLY HODAKA Paul is a very helpfull type of guy and no question is stupid in his eyes. I bought other HODAKA stuff from him to stick on this bike. He's a pleasure to deal with and seeings that I have gone with a Super Rat engine in my bike, that has a different carb from the original SH. Paul is having a custom made throttle cable made for my application by Motion-Pro , this is the company that makes all of his cables for Hodakas & Bonanza minibikes that have Hodaka engines for power..... It's a very nice wiring kit complete with instructions and all of the parts to complete the installation on your bike :thumbsup: .....

Seeings how I have NO wiring harness at all on this bike :shrug: It was obvious for me to buy this kit.... Money well spent! Ed ..... Thank you for the link on the brake switch.... U the man :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: I bought a repro for $10.00 to get the rubber boot for my switch :wink:

Last edited:
Thank you Jim for your kind words :thumbsup:

I'm not knowing what I want to do with the pipe :shrug: when I do get to that stage of the build.... Either I'll have it coated by Percision Coatings .... and that would be coated in a flat black .... Or I take it to San Joaquin Plating and i'll have it chromed (both in Lodi, Ca.)..... Both have done a lot of work on my various rides in the past. I have my wheels, forks and swing arm being powder coated as I type by Percision Coatings, Phil will get the frame once I'm done with it. He came up with this Candy Blue powder coating hue that look's sweet.:thumbsup:

BC1500 DAVE:thumbsup: