The fimco made by sensation.

Today I found a dream. A complete survivor fimco made by sensation. It has a Briggs that has the fimco serial number, a rounded bottom chain guard similar to the bikes made by fimco. The frame is red with a white spring under the forks. I,was amazed and paid way more than I should have. This is the bike that was sold by fimco but made in Omaha at sensation. I was shocked to find the Briggs on there. At first I said its all original except the engine then I saw the tag. The models name is the big butch. There is not a number plate on the forks. Not sure what that's actually called. I don't believe it cane with one.
The kick stand is even there. I will figure out how to post some photos.

I posted photos in the photo section under fimco and sensation. I will get some better photos up. If anyone could transfer them here that would be great.

Okay, I've never heard of a FIMCO bike being made by Sensation. Is it possible someone took a Briggs engine and clutch cover off a FIMCO and stuck it on a Sensation? Here are your pictures. All you need to do is copy the medium image and paste.

markus

i tink the engine came off some sort of industrial equipment, "big butch"is a trade name for fimco equipment. Just like i had an old briggs with a sensation tag on it, but its from one of thier edgers.

Nope, I heard it straight from the owner of the company. He was my ex-grandfather in law. They bought them from sensation for a short time until they built them themselves. It's the real deal. I can get further verification from my ex father in law if you wish. They were sold through John deer dealerships.

There is no doubt it's a sensation minibike, I'd love to hear the full story on the merger.
Me too Ace, that sounds like a really cool story.

And you know, if Sensation did this, they would not be the first company during the mini bike revolution that sold their frames to be re-branded by another company, or that built bikes with another companies badge on it when it rolled out their doors. That business model probably helped a lot of companies expand their offering in to mini bikes, without having to tool up and provide the materials and labor staff, for it too.

Very neat Thad, please keep us posted.

Also, if you guys are on good terms, see if you can get him to tell you about the history of his company and what he knew of this scenario, and any others like it. Maybe make a video of the interview, and see if he'd care if you post it here. We are as much in to history I think, as we are in to mini bikes....:laugh:...Thanks, and good luck...:thumbsup:

markus

Nope, I heard it straight from the owner of the company. He was my ex-grandfather in law. They bought them from sensation for a short time until they built them themselves. It's the real deal. I can get further verification from my ex father in law if you wish. They were sold through John deer dealerships.
OK, I see the "little butch" stampted on the I'd plate when I blow up the photo a bit, That's pretty interesting!

It's good to hear I am not an ass! Lol! Not in this case anyway! I checked out the motor and I believe with the poor lighting in my kitchen and me not finding even one of my 34 flashlights is a 68. I am pretty excited about this one. I had to head back to kc so it will be a few weeks till I get back to it. I will post more and better photos of the engine serial number and the bike. There are obviously more of these out there. I will do my best to get the story on here for everyone. My son can be pretty convincing and may be just the guy to get the story.

Daniel Coop

I recently picked up one of those on Craigslist. Mine is a little bit rougher, but looks exactly the same. Missing the clutch cover and I am pretty sure it has been repainted. Has what I assume is the original Briggs 3hp that someone painted black...need some forks ifor anyone can help IMG_20161109_165605283.jpg IMG_20161109_161020416.jpg IMG_20161202_110321976.jpg 1478831400516-493698985.jpg 1478831336070-1066943768.jpg

Last edited:
Today I found a dream...
Here's my Fimco. This appears to be a later model than yours. It pretty much matches the Little Butch brochure on Minidoodle. The rear wheel mount is different from your bike, and it has a Tec engine and clutch brake instead of the B&S / scrub brake setup on the Sensation-built machine. I've gotten as far as tearing it down and have straightened the high-speed fork and foot pegs.

Mine has stamped steel wheels just like the bikes shown in the Fimco brochure, and the sprocket is welded to the hub. That last part poses a bit of a problem because the sprocket is worn out. My machinist buddy wants to cut it off and weld on a new one. I'm thinking of just going w/Astro wheels and a bolt-on sprocket and drum brake.

The recoil cover w/date stamp has been swapped on my bike so I could not confirm it's age. The engine has correct minibike throttle linkage and I believe it's original to the bike by its appearance. The crank is really worn where the clutch slides on. This is my only Tec and they never come up on CL around here. I have several B&S engines so I think I'll just use one of them, and maybe a TAV.

I don't normally like to change things around that much, but it seems to be the easiest way to get this one back in action, and it's all bolt-on stuff. What do you think?

SENSATION MINIBIKE LITERATURE

FIMCO MINIBIKE

Last edited:
Nice find Tom...!

My first mini-bike was a Sensation Mike Bike...so I have an affinity for Sensation stuff. I find it fascinating to see they were involved in supplying other manufacturers/builders with parts. Just like some of the bigger players back then, allowing their stuff to be re-branded...Bird, Cat, Arco, etc.

Given that Fimco sourced various parts from other mfg's...in looking at the rear axle mounts of your frame...I wonder if your frame style was sourced by Fimco from Arco ?

Keep us posted on what you do with it.

The frames after the one this post is based on were made in Sioux City. The frame Tom S has pictured was made in Sioux City.

I suppose I may have caused some confusion here. Yes the non sensation frames were made in Sioux City. The chain/clutch guard was also made there. Not completely sure on the seats. When the photo were shown to my ex father in law he descibed the seat on the sensation model to be one of "our" seats. The off the shelf parts I spoke of were grips, sprockets, wheels,shafts, clutches,shocks ect. I suppose the normal stuff on almost every bike except Rupp and a few of the more advanced companies. I did not mean to create any confusion. That's the way the process was described to me. I really want to tell the story I was told because it is hilarious.its also a story I fear causing trouble with telling. I may when I get some free time. These bikes were sold through John deer dealerships a long with their sprayers.