The "Super Top Secret" Gilson build

CarPlayLB

First off, I can't post any pics 'cause Hent is doing something with the pics...I will have some and do my best to post them up!

I bought some sort of Gilson from BowHunt4Life...great guy to deal with! I have one build left in me, and this is it! For those that are close to me, you know I have dreams of moving to Panama, specifically Bocas del Toro, which is on the Caribbean side near the Costa Rica border. My brother in law owns a hotel there and I am hoping to get a pool boy job there! Check it out here IslandPlantationBocas.com . Beautiful place, beautiful people, beer for a dollar!
Anyhow, I wanted a suspended bike that would be transportation when I am there. The wife says I can have TWO minibikes in the container for Panama. The other is a Taco ST100 that is close to being done. The Gilson arrived as frame and forks only. I like the Lomart Cheeftah wheels, so I got a set of those combined with 5.30/4.50-6.00 tires. No polish this time! They are painted silver! I need this one to be road worthy, so I adapted a Bendix 5" brake and hub. The forks had some cracks so I took them to a buddy to get tigged....and as the perfectionist that he is, he redid a lot of things and then took them to get chromed...CRAP! NO MORE CHROME! It's getting way too expensive! The forks with lowers was only $125, but it's like wiping your ass with a wagon wheel, it never ends! Forks now look great! The rear shocks had to go and new ones are here!
The power for this mess is a Briggs dual roller I/C block with Comp cam, billet rod and flywheel, Edelbrock head (cause the chics dig 'em!) and a clone carb. I had Wulf build me a manifold for the standard clone carb and it is bitchin'...but I was afraid I'd be wanting more, so my welder buddy tig welded an adapter to a billet manifold that will allow the use of a big block clone carb! They have a decent venturi and a 22mm throat, which should be about right! I also bought a couple "loop" headers so I can chop 'em up and make a good torquey exhaust system! The stock tank was spotless and will be great for this!
For this build I am also trying to adapt an alternator and have a good source of power. I need good lights for the late night trips home from church (Shhhh,....it will be from the bar!). I have the alternator, regulator, pulley, and a lithium battery. The pulley will go on the crank and then the clutch. My welder buddy is also a machinist and he is making me a crank extension to accommodate the pulley. The Gilson has a jackshaft that will allow me to change the chain location.
Here is where I am at right now. Frame is at powder coat getting a bright red sparklee coating. The forks are done and assembled with the front wheel now. The engine is built, just waiting for the tins from the coater. Karen built an awesome seat that will cushion the backside nicely! Her seats are top notch!
My apologies as I suck at pics and often times forget. I will post what I got as soon as Hent is done!
Adios mi amigos!

Last edited:

buckeye

You need a pool boy assistant?

Sounds like a fine build. You always produce a nice product.
Good luck to you Eric. Sounds like a good plan to watch the sunset of your life unfold.

You can post pics ... just not the usual way ...

if they are on your hard drive you can click on "Insert Image" just above ... it will default to "From Computer" ... select the pics from your hard drive and it will upload them to the page ... like I did here ...

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-classifieds/132357-12v-ac-horn-16-shipped.html#post1058219

and here ....

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-parts/132353-gas-gage-cap-tecumseh-tank-20-shipped-priority.html#post1058218