things to be Aware of with Baja Warrior bikes > picture Heavy

i noticed there wasnt a Sticky about these bikes.
hopefully this may become one.

this topic is directed more to the Used baja warriors/mini warriors that are still bought and sold everyday,
rather than the redesigned brand new ones now.

first off,is the frames.
these were welded Badly by the " factories " .
both the front of the frame and the rear engine plate mounts can and have come out of the frame itself after a sudden impact.

here is a Month old baja warrior that was being ridden thru a field and hit a pothole.
the entire bottom end dropped out,and the farmer said TG his kids werent riding it.:scared:
see pictures,and please note the Hole in the weld job you can see daylight thru on the headtube joint.

now theres the engine plate itself.
youll note these bikes have some decent sized tubing
but the engine plate is a thin piece of tinfoil that Will crack and fail.
see pictures and please note the first pic is of a typical dirty plate it looks just fine right?
the second pic is the same bike/plate cleaned off.....:scared:

this is the size of the plate we were replacing the og warrior tinfoil with.:thumbsup:

then theres the jackshaft assembly,it has a High tensioner failure rate,usually right out in the middle of nowheres too.
And its connected to that same engine plate made out of tinfoil with a little stand.
that area there cracks as well.
see pictures

and of course,theres a recall concerning the forks as well.
oddly,we have never had a fork failure but the rest has happened to almost every warrior weve had.
so no picture there but be warned anyways,they can fail according to other owners.
also,the 2 tabs that keep the forks from hitting the frame when you turn > those tend to break off as well.

spekaing of breaking off :hammer: that leads to those handlebar clamps.
if you have the version with the Separate Clamps,Not the one piece cast,
then you Should inspect and switch to Real motorcycle ones if possible asap.
these are Powdered metal and Will break in half right across the middle of the clamps.
at speed..this could get nasty.
i had one pop literally iheard a pop! i slowed down looked down and whammo the other one popped apart.
i was left holding bars in one hand and bike sideways on the ground.
Very lucky i wasnt going fast at that point.:doah:

Good things ive noticed.
they have redesigned the newer versions
to include a set of plates on the headtube welded in for obvious reasons.
they have a better tensioner.
they have a stronger plate.

i saw a couple of recent posts talking about putting huge motors on these.
i had a 8hp honda Wedged in there on a custom plate,was almost done with the backspacing
and after that new baja frame failed with a >> stock motor i gave up that idea in a Hurry.

i dont think they are safely welded from the start to support this kind of weight.
yes,i know theres a lot of modded warriors out there doing just fine.
most of them are easy semi lightweight harbor freight jobbies with a tav.
ive modded a few myself,and drove the carp out of them too,but,i dont trust them anymore.

its up to you really.
this topic is just to alert you what May go badly wrong with your warrior.
please,at least inspect those areas carefully and stay safe.

cheers,Rob

Thanks for the heads up on these older BAJA models. It might be additionally helpful that the
recalled front fork models occurred on 2010, 2011, and 2012 models only and the recall
occurred in 2013 on 23 thousand (23,000) of these.

I have a buddy who is a welder and I am going to think about having him beef up some of the
welded joints and splice some splints onto the sides of the welds. Probably the motor mount too.

I have 2007 with no issues, but I have stripped and rebuilt it before with new quality bolts and mounting hardware.
I also added some gussets around the bike for safety.

Excellent pictures and warning.

Video from the first day after its refit:
Not easy to see but if you look just ahead of the tank you ca see where I welded in some steel to prevent frame separation.
I added some welds too but never had a failure of any kind.
What I did find that was really dangerous were the weak foot pegs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKMVIBOnDdk

Last edited:
lol,Scott your recent questions about these warriors is what made me decide to make the topic.:thumbsup:
good luck with your build and thanks for adding those recall periods.

ty Nos much appreciated.
anyone else who has tips for warriors?
safety or other?

Last edited:
The nuts that hold the tree together can get slack.
This causes the whole assembly to rock back and forth in the steering head.

I know a few fellows that had to scrap frames because steel stretch and became oblong ( likely to crack from this too ).

The seats are awful and the plastic can crack up and cause it to come off.....
The bar between the rear brake backing plate and frame has a nut that can loosen and drop out ( loss of brakes and control )....

Top of the tree you see those chrome plated bolts?
I had one of those back out and fall in testing.
Watched it pass me on the road as I carefully braked with the rear to a safe stop....

Cheap bikes.
Now if I was to do it all over again ( and I just might with my other frame )
I would replace probably 50% of the frame just because there is a lot of clunky design and poor material.
That front steering head has always been a source of concern because its too light compared to what we do and ask of these things.

Every ride I listen to the front end bottom out and worry about it.....

CarPlayLB

Here's a tip.

If you decide to buy a clapped out piece of Chinese machinery, inspect thoroughly before riding it! That rust and those cracks did not happen on one ride, or two, or twenty! (was going to say 200 but that is probably the breaking point!) We all know these are mass produced piles of machinery with little regard to quality control or a conscience in buying proper materials. These bikes are purely profit driven items with little other regard!

Tips :

when wanting to use a real fuel tank instead of the fake baja tank,
look up Moped gas tanks on Ebay. :thumbsup:

use a harbor freight cheapie motor and a cheapie tav for most fun/versus/the factory setup which is flawed and junk.

Here's a tip.

If you decide to buy a clapped out piece of Chinese machinery, inspect thoroughly before riding it! That rust and those cracks did not happen on one ride, or two, or twenty! (was going to say 200 but that is probably the breaking point!) We all know these are mass produced piles of machinery with little regard to quality control or a conscience in buying proper materials. These bikes are purely profit driven items with little other regard!
the bike shown with the frame broke out was less than a month old,
and was owned by a local farmer.
theres simply no way he made 200 trips on the bike.

the rust you see is a result of him dragging the wreck to the side of the barn and leaving it there till i came along.
if you look at the pics carefully,you can still see the Shiny chrome,the still new bolts and assorted hardware,etc etc.
And the foot pegs are still brand new and not marred a bit.
look at the seat..the only damage is sun fade.

when i asked him why he didnt get it warrantied,he simply said Why?
if this was brand new,and broke,then whats to stop another one from doing the same thing?

Thanks for posting this. My wife and I got our oldest son a new Baja MB200 Warrior for Christmas back in 2011 and so far (Fingers crossed) it has held up pretty good. The only issues it has / had are / were, it has developed a lot of slop in the rubber dampening grommets for the handlebar clamp no matter how tight the mounting nuts are. I tried to replace them but Baja Motorsports or any Baja parts source seems to never have them in stock. Noisy stock clutch chatter / slippage and failure, (remedied with a TAV) noisy brakes (no matter how much you keep them clean), broken seat mounting tab (temporarily fixed until I can replace it with a new seat) and I had the front forks replaced as per the recall. My son takes really good care of it and keeps it clean and I help him out with up keep and inspection. I was going to help him with out with some other performance upgrades such as an exhaust header, new carb jet, air filter, etc... but after reading about the poor frame welds, I think I'll keep it stock for now. Luckily he mostly rides on smooth paved surfaces and back yard. The only rough terrain is our dirt driveway so I'll have him avoid the deep mud and potholes and keep a close eye on all of the welds.

Shawn

Last edited:
I have done additional research regarding recalls of minibikes from BajaMinibikes and in addition to the 23,000 for front fork replacement,
they also had some throttle cable / fuel line recalls on 308,000 units spread over several different models. Not a typo .... 308,000!

It may be that the Baja mini chinese company has manufactured and sold more units than any other manufacturer in history.
That being the case and with that many units out there I have to think the one with all the bad welds that broke apart must
be an extremely rare example. If it was a significantly common occurrence I believe the USA consumer reports recall system
would have picked up on it. Nonetheless, I am appreciative for the heads up and do plan to add some reinforcing gussets
and welds to my "older" 2010 mb165 frame. I have to assume their newer manufactured models are improved versions with better
manufacturering process etc. These recalls have cost the chinese mfgr millions of dollars and they will have certainly learned
that it is much cheaper to improve the quality control than to incur the cost of recalls and retrofits etc.

My time is free to a good cause and sometimes a building a bike is fun too.
I would dearly love to get my hands on a freebie even with a cracked frame right now to rebuild for a foster kid....
You take what you can get sometimes...

I heard you there i just dont like them bikes at all i see them for sale at tractor supply for $599-699. Why would someone spend that much when you could go vintage those are just mass produced junk in my opinion.

Why would someone spend that much when you could go vintage those are just mass produced junk in my opinion.
For any number of reasons really .... but I bet the main reason is "it's new".
Most people have no knowledge of mini bikes, they just wanted one for (whoever) and they sell them in stores.
Vintage minis in like new condition are not that common and they can be costly.

I'm willing to bet there are people who are into stereos, jewelery, ect who have knowledge about new products that the layman dosent and they know quality.

All of the above being said I just bought my granddaughter a Chineese dirtbike.

And I THINK the only American maker of mini bikes is Monster Moto.

I hear ya izzyizz ... didnt feel like you were dis-ing anyone ... I was just pointing out how so many of them get sold ...

But it aint all bad ... tho its not my cup of tea there are MANY members here who love their Doddle bugs, Dirt Bugs ect when mixed with a Honda clone motor ...

Last edited:
Its a guilt free thing to build a bike from.

I think its very different in America.
I try too remember back to my own childhood and I don't anyone I knew had one.
I can't even remember seeing anyone ride one.

It was a rare thing....

But the Chinese bikes were sold here in numbers, but even now I do not think I have seen one sold new in a while to be honest.

I just did a search on duck duck go and found no sellers of Baja mini bikes in Canada....