things to be Aware of with Baja Warrior bikes > picture Heavy

MB165

wow, hope the guy didn't get hurt. looks like the factory didn't have the welder turned up hot enough.....
older models had gussets on the steering head. I don't know when they changed maybe around 2009. it has a 5.5 hp engine, so its at least 5-7 years old.

I LOVE my Baja's.
I bought one 2-1/2 years ago (black $499.99)and ride the crap out of it just about everyday. After supper I light a cigar and jump on the mini and ride around the block, then I hit my trails/race track I built. I have two acres I cleared off. I left the holes where I had stumps ground. They make great obstacles. I ride it down then up out of the creek. I ride it hard for about an hour. I have to stand on the pegs all the time to absorb the hard bumps (me: 160 lbs/62 years old going on 16 / 53 years on 2 wheels) I have had no failures but the fork stem did loosen off a little. It took three wrenches and 10 minutes to tighten up . I replaced the centrifugal clutch two weeks ago, 4 oil changes and that is it. Well, except that I have worn the rear tire tread slick on the edges from ridding hard/slidding around. I kind of like the tire worn. It power slides much easier now.
I bought a used/hardly rode one, a month ago for $250.00(black) and I went in Tractor Supply this past Friday (6-3-16) for a law mower blade and walked out with a new camouflage one for $499.99 Now I've got three to enjoy. I guess I do like them. I'm going to customize the 2nd black one. (I need a tractor style solo seat for the project)
The Baja 200 is my de-stress machine and worth every penny to me.
I have stress tested the machine and she is a tough little baby. No complaints what so ever.

First post --- Dog

Thats what happens when people waste their money on Chinese bs could have gone vintage ...
What you really mean when you say "Vintage" is actually "USED" and the reality is that for the past 15 years or
more the Chinese mfgrs have flooded our markets with hundreds or thousands of units. This means that today
it is way more likely for guys looking for cheap "used" minibikes to fix up to run across a used chinese model
verses a used Vintage US produced model. I speak from direct experience. I scouted craigslist for a month
before I found my used MB165 for $125.

I will probably spend 3 or 4 hundred more dollars fixing it up but
if I bought a USA made frame and built from scratch I would be in the $800 - $1000 dollar range with a frame
I dont like as much as the MiniBaha adult size minibikes. I just dont know of any frames with a 46 inch wheel
base and large tires that looks like a mini motorcycle that I would want to own as much.

You have to give credit to what the Chinese have accomplished with their mass production and styling and value.

Last edited:

A.J.

Thats what happens when people waste their money on Chinese bs could have gone vintage ...
Ouch...

Matter of opinion to me i dont like them.no matter how you put it those bikes arent for me ..
It really isn't what you say, but how you say it. You may feel that Chinese bikes are "bs", but you don't have to talk down to people "wasting their money" on these bikes. I think this thread was meant to be informative for people buying or considering these bikes, and things to look out for.

I just bought a Baja Warrior, and I love it. I can trash it all I want and not feel bad. If I bought a Vintage mini bike, then took it out to the desert or up in the mountains and wrecked it, I would feel bad for wrecking a piece of history. As a Vintage mini bike lover, I'm sure you don't want to see people trashing Vintage bikes that need love and restoration. So isn't it better to buy a Chinese bike for the purpose of a cheap fun throw around bike?

Yes would i would rather people trash them Chinese bikes over vintage any day i may have said it wrong im sorry just dont lile them bikes...

At least these discussions help to weed out the hi IQ vs the low IQ posters as evidenced by
simple statements and inability to articulate thoughts etc. Like someone liking or disliking whole
categories of items in general without being able to specify any particulars. But then again you have
to cut some folks some slack just based on where they live :)

Im not trying to start anything here im just stating my opinion i dont care what you think about my iq im done arguing over this with you i see your points an i have mine thanks scottusa your the one insulting me ..

had the fork come apart when i was riding it, i was honestly going 5mph and ran over a rock that i have run over meny times before and fork and wheel took off and i went end over.
called the company and mine was made in the timeframe of the recall, they aranged the repair and everything at no cost, all i had to do was drop it off And pick it up.
the company was very easy to work with.

the funny thing was how slow it all happends as the front wheel was going down the trail without me.

My story..pressure washer pump blew apart I was sitting there with a good 6.5 Intek..eek! yeah I know..anyway being a big kid I looked into putting that motor on a frame..too costly..saw Coleman ct200u $499 Walmart and snagged it..love it! still had that engine so figured I buy a doodle bug on cl..moneywise and having nerve damage disablity getting a vintage bike and dealing with hunting parts and building was no go for me I don't weld..it ain't all bad..these have classic style frames..I'm having fun..kudos for builders..there is room for all of us : ]

I have one but don't ride it much. Within the first six months, the chain was loose. I went to tighten it, and stripped out the threads. The metal was too soft, and I had to order new tensioners, and they don't work right. Ever since then I had the chain falling off every 100 yards.

I just bought a Baja Warrior, and I love it. I can trash it all I want and not feel bad. If I bought a Vintage mini bike, then took it out to the desert or up in the mountains and wrecked it, I would feel bad for wrecking a piece of history. As a Vintage mini bike lover, I'm sure you don't want to see people trashing Vintage bikes that need love and restoration. So isn't it better to buy a Chinese bike for the purpose of a cheap fun throw around bike?
Extremely well said.
i myself buy a lot of these minis Just to offer to the forum members to save or restore.
our rides are the beaters or the chinese junkers.

example = baja warrior,used,50 bucks. has typical issues,tensioners broke,chains broke clutch is smoked.
hb predator 108.
tav 75.
new chain 20.
so for 275 you have a running fun baja ready to ride.

Versus..Any of the old minis.
example =
a bird,125
Correct missing parts another 2-250
chroming,paint n bodywork,new/NOS stuff to replace.no clue but Godawful spensive.
the bike ends up costing a Mint to build,And now its practically Unridable cause what if you lay it down.

yeah,ill stick with the beaters n let the collectors do their thing :thumbsup:

ben,if you need advice or help w your mini lmk i can assist.
the bajas are fun to run and cheap too.

Last edited:
just a helpful tip to those of you doing builds on these bikes.
heres a Real gas tank setup i discovered.
all it requires is one tube welded onto the front of frame for gas tank to mount on/see pic.
it must be mounted High in the front otherwise the forks will hit when turned.
hope this helps these came off Suzuki RM 125 bikes.

This is a good thread. I just bought one of these last week fairly cheap. It's seen some use but the tires look like new, fenders are beat up, but all in all its all there. Over the winter I will tear into it and check the motor mount and welds, and as a result of this post weld in some gussets. My question is, what was happening to the forks that made them fail? Did a quick search and didn't find anything. I have no idea what year my mini is? Is there a positive way to be able to tell the year?

This is a good thread. I just bought one of these last week fairly cheap. It's seen some use but the tires look like new, fenders are beat up, but all in all its all there. Over the winter I will tear into it and check the motor mount and welds, and as a result of this post weld in some gussets. My question is, what was happening to the forks that made them fail? Did a quick search and didn't find anything. I have no idea what year my mini is? Is there a positive way to be able to tell the year?
If you call Baja motorsports with the serial number, I'm sure they can tell you. They are great folks to talk to.

I have 2 of these bikes now. One I bought new (Camo) last year and have had more fun working/modding and riding it than I can shake a stick at.
I got one for my wife used, 2007 (Carbon)
As someone previously said, sorta, this bike has brought me large quantities of joy and happiness. I ride it almost 30 miles a day,just to ride.

My wife's is still stock, but will be getting the workover and upgrades as things like the clutch wear out.

To me, this bike is like the little version of the Harley I never owned.

Smooth streets and parking lots not required.

Last edited:
Okay this may sound silly but what the heck is a TAV?
I've been seeing these Baja's all over Craig's List going for dirt cheap. Is it because folks are buying them and seeing a lot of misc failures or what?

Note: I tried using the search function for TAV, both threads and posts, and the system say none exist, even though I see multiple mentions of it.