this post is for people that are new to fixing stuff

KB2ROCKET

What an adventure it is taking something apart and not really knowing what you will find inside. Here a just a few things that will help you
1. If you are unscrewing an adjustment screw count how many turns it took to unscrew it so you can put it back the same way it was
2. Lay parts on a clean piece of paper in the order they came apart so you can remember how to put them back together
3.when seperating parts do so very slowly so you can see the parts as they come into view because sometimes they are under spring pressure and can jump out of place or just fall out of place
4.understand that if you get mad at a machine that is a pain to work on then its time to stop before you break something or hurt your self
5.when putting something together and its just not going into place their is a reason this is happening find out what it is and correct it but dont force it
6.when building something remember their are no big jobs just a bunch of small tasks just stay with it and it will get done
7 Have Fun:laugh:

This is age old, good advice.

Let me add a modern twist to it - take pics before taking it apart!

...and maybe mark things with a sharpie to not get them mixed up.

maverick1

This is age old, good advice.

Let me add a modern twist to it - take pics before taking it apart!

...and maybe mark things with a sharpie to not get them mixed up.
Could not agree with you more. Digital camera's are great. Took step by step photos when I tore into a Yamaha bottom end. Went back together easy as pie.

KB2ROCKET

Its 10:30pm here I just finshed eating meatloaf baked apples corn bread sweet tea rice and muxed veggies at cracker barrel resturant

Geezzzzz, wish I read this thread years ago. I learned all these tips through 'experience'. One tip I want to add, don't throw any tools in a fit of frustration, they might break, get lost, or bounce off something and hit you in the head.
:laugh:

There is a similar thread on Vintagesleds.com, the main point on there is pictures! pictures! pictures! Myself, I probably take over 100 pictures per project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great advice, when im doing something new or that intimidates me (small projects), i normally set up the tripod and video the process, then edit out the lag time and upload a private vid to refer to later if needed.... i used to take pics, but it took longer to document than video (using todays tech) ... take a part off, show the camera up close, then log it...

I'm suffering from a case of the "might as wells."

Spent the weekend staring at 750 very nice hot rods. Got home and had the urge to fix a bit of ugly out of the carpet in the old RT.

Removed drivers seat and belt and sill. Pulled and rearranged carpet. No help.

Might as well pull the rear seat to pull the rear quarter upholstery to find out why that power window isn't working so well. Ten hours later, replacement motor installed, regulator back on the track, and it works about like it used to.

Might as well replace the carpet, can't make it look pretty, and it's 15 years old anyway. Five hours later, center console, tranny linkage and the rest of the interior removed.

Surprise! Ugly rust area in passenger foot well. Hmm, must have had a vent window leak. Oh, there's OIL here too! PAG will eat paint, so AC evaporator has been leaking for years, making a hole in the pan, so I have to fix that, fix the AC, "THEN" install the new carpet.

I didn't take photos, because of course I can remember where all those screws, linkages, and wires go. :thumbsup: Riiiiiight!

One tip I want to add, don't throw any tools in a fit of frustration, they might break, get lost, or bounce off something and hit you in the head.
:laugh:
I watched my high school shop teacher do exactly that. It wasn't a good sight for him but it didn't hit him. Came very close though.

old-timer

Scamming Member
Keep all parts neat, in order, and away from any other projects/parts you may have going on.
As already mentioned, if it's motor work or rebuilding your doing, it's a very good idea to have the proper manuals for referral . I still refer to mine all the time for different specks ect.

toomanytoys

if you are tearing down something put your bolts, and other small parts in zip lock baggies, labeled and organized by order they come apart.

Great idea, but I've never done it. I just end up searching on the garage floor for 2 hours for that metric bolt that I can't find....

old-timer

Scamming Member
if you are tearing down something put your bolts, and other small parts in zip lock baggies, labeled and organized by order they come apart.

Great idea, but I've never done it. I just end up searching on the garage floor for 2 hours for that metric bolt that I can't find....
Been there, done that :laugh: