Throttle Return Spring Question...Briggs 2hp

Here is a photo of my Briggs 2hp that came on my Bonanza. It is a 1987 motor, model 60102. It arrived with the big return spring coming off a head bolt, obviously wrong. What is the correct set up for the return spring? It looks like there could have been a spring that wraps around the throttle itself and the small bracket it pivots on, judging by the shape of the bracket and small hole at the bottom front of it. I could also try and get a spring that goes around the throttle cable and pushes the throttle back with one end of the spring against the screw/washer that is hold the throttle cable in place and the throttle itself. Any help appreciated...And I have a new throttle cable on order where the housing will be a little further back towards the lock screw with a little more of the cable itself exposed.
DSCN0228.JPG DSCN0229.JPG

Wow! Exactly what I was thinking!, Just curious, what is/was the factory way of doing this? Is there some kind of spring that wraps around the throttle arm and the base piece it is fastened to and pivots on?

T-Town Mini

I have a B&S 3HP that looks identical to your photos minus the return spring. It only has the governor spring attached.

To answer your question...In the Briggs & Stratton manual (270962) the carb and governor setup varied but, I found one illustration that showed a return spring attached at the same point as your carb is using*. One end of the return spring is shown attached at the head bolt. That wire end then drops down along the shroud to make the spring almost level before attaching the other end on the pivot arm. So, at some point your return spring was replaced, obviously...but, I believe the setup would be correct.

You could conceivably add a spring around the pivot point as you suggested or, just do what already works like what Dr. Shop Teacher linked to above.

*reference: Section 4 Gov. Controls, Carb. Linkages & Flywheel Brakes, page 7, Fig. 26