Tire options?

i got a new sprocket for my minibike because my old 40 tooth sprocket was badly worn. so i ordered a 72 tooth, well.. lets just say i think left hand turns are out of the question now, its only about a half inch shorter than the tire! i have a 4" rim and would like to keep the original rim if possible, is there a bigger size tire than 4.10-3.50-4 that will fit this rim? i have a ton of room for a much taller tire but have had no luck finding one for a 4" rim. any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

72 tooth!!!!???

Not many options out there for a 4" tire.

I restored an Atlas that is stock and has a 60 tooth welded in the hub and sticks out away from the tire about an inch. I have to take right turns because I will scrape the sprocket on a left turn. I put on new saw tooth tires and maybe a knobby would help me but I doubt it.

With a little 3HP Briggs, the thing gets me off the line no problems , even on inclines and it's pretty fast @ top end .

I don't know how far your sprocket sticks away from the wheel but a 72 tooth is way too big.

What about a bigger engine? (what do you have?) Do you have a jack shaft?

The sprocket in #35 chain measures for a 72 tooth is 8.78 and only 4.88 for a 40 tooth # 35 chain a 60 tooth is 7.32 not that much better. I think the bigger rear wheel or a jack shaft addition is your solution . No fun riding with only right turns or having damaged chains. Good luck working this out. Steve :scooter:

hmm, well i may just have to go with a 6"rim/tire combo. its a 6.5hp and i wanted it to really get off the line good, thats why i went for the 72 tooth.

well i ride this thing in the trails behind my house, and probably never break 15-20mph, with the 40t the clutch rarely ever fully engaged, it was always slipping, and struggled on hills. so i was hopeing a big sprocket would solve my problem because i dont have the cash for any kind of torque converter setup.

4" wheels are for the street.

For trails you need 6" or bigger tires/wheels but it depends on what bike you have weather they will fit or not.

Oldsalt

Like was said above: Larger diameter wheels or a jack shaft. The jack shaft is what I'd do. Sure, the tires would still be sorta small but you can would have any gearing you desire.