Tires for Baja Warrior

I'm new to mini-bikes and I took the baja through some pretty deep wet mud yesterday and the rear tends to kick out a lot. The tires are old and probably need to be changed.

Any suggestions on a good tire for mud?? Would moving up a tire size help any?? Where I hunt the ground is very soft so need something that will really dig through the rough stuff.

Also as far as front tires go, do you want them to match the rear, or can you pretty much use whatever you want on the front since it is not the drive tire.

see what size tires you have and do a google search on whats available. OldMiniBikes.com has a great selection. personally, I'd match to front to the back. hope that helps.

JKautoFab

00707_fs0aNGxJ3sL_600x450.jpg

i put the largest tire i could fit, happened to have a single 21 that had some meat on it. makes it sit level with the stock 19 on the front

couldnt tell you about the grip or handling, but after riding my last one with a small back tire i can tell you the smaller will always be easier to kick out because of gearing, the taller tire will go over things better and will give you more clearance, and should balloon/float over mud better while a smaller tire would dig a hole and sink

also i wouldnt worry much about the tires matching, just worry about whether the tire is squared off or rounded, so you can lean thru turns.

Last edited:
I'm running a 8.5 no problem in the rear . Didn't have to change anything .
Are you running a turf tire? Having trouble finding an aggressive. I've seen a couple replies on the forum but the pic will be too blurry to get the numbers and no tire dimensions. Could you provide a pic and or at least the three dimensions and brand?

Yea it's a hi run 18x8.5-8 .the reason I went with the 18 and not the 20 was I was worried about fender Cllearence It's the stock wheel drum combo . I know it's a inch shorter, but run a lil more psi to balloon it out in the center . I'll try and get a pic . My rear fender is flipped around so the lil notch in it is facing back now . By flipping it it shortened the over hang in the rear and covers the tire more in the front of it . My end game plan for tire setup though is going to be putting the 20x8.5-8 in the rear and the 18x8.5-8 I. The front with another rear rim drum setup for front brakes . Anyone got one for sale lol

ill get some numbers off my tire when i get down there to it. (only got 12 minis lol) i wannna say its a 21x8x8 or 21x7x8 rear and 19 front. still had room for larger in front

Yea it's a hi run 18x8.5-8 .the reason I went with the 18 and not the 20 was I was worried about fender Cllearence It's the stock wheel drum combo . I know it's a inch shorter, but run a lil more psi to balloon it out in the center . I'll try and get a pic . My rear fender is flipped around so the lil notch in it is facing back now . By flipping it it shortened the over hang in the rear and covers the tire more in the front of it . My end game plan for tire setup though is going to be putting the 20x8.5-8 in the rear and the 18x8.5-8 I. The front with another rear rim drum setup for front brakes . Anyone got one for sale lol
What do you think would be the thickest tire you can run? Would you go any thincker than 8.5? Not knowing what anything looks like other than the factory 7, I'm looking to upgrade to the thickest I can go using the factory rim and allowing enough clearance.

8.5 max with stock fender and could maybe fit a 9 without fender or chopped fender . The chain starts getting pretty close though with a 9

Last edited:
Thanks ATX! I think I'm going to go with the 8.5... I reached out to Carlisle Tire to ask what the recommended, they stated rule of thumb is an inch of play. So seeing the factory tire is 7, I will have to push it and go with the 8.5. I appricate your help!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk