Today's ElTigre score

There had been a big bike on OKC CL that had been built quite long ago from square tubing and had Piper Aircraft tires and Imiron pain. I went to look at it and it was cool but not $175 firm cool although the jackshaft, wheels, hubs etc. were very cool and it aint going anywhere. The deal on this ElTigre is at the very bottom of the ad for the big bike was a couple of sentences no picture just said I also have another minibike with chrome frame and front and rear shocks 2.5hp engine rusted chrome and chain. $150. So I asked to see the chrome bike and this is what I got for $130 after negotiating but the guy was tough, so we went from $100 initial offer to it sitting in the shop. I paid more than I normally would but it's not every day an All American ElTigre comes up for sale around here. I need a sprocket as it's dog toothed and rusted, that may be a tough one but I'm sure Yellowhand can bust one out. The wheels are in great shape and will clean up nicely, some dope hacked off the footpeg bar so this one will likely be stripped and rechromed or patched and painted. It depends on the price for the shiny stuff, the frame needs the holes where the round tank bracket is screwed in filled in as well as a small repair to the frame TIG welded to match the rest of the welds which are very nice. The forks are a little stuck but move as do the fork springs but the rear shocks are shot. I'll replace em one day when I get around to redoing it. I'm tearing this one down and bead blasting the wheels, getting a sprocket bought or made then store it for a future resto. The wheels need the be away from the rusted bearings and fasteners. I have always wanted one now I have one!:thumbsup:

And dig that Gator material on the side of the seat! Gotta go back with that by God!

ooh, nice score. now which 1 is gonna get the most attention, this or your soon to be taco
There were communication problems with the frijole concerning some features on it and I decided it was best to forget about it, so it was shipped back today. So it is off the project list but there are a few ahead of this chrome beauty and they will get done first.:thumbsup:

Mac

Wow...Nicer than the one I got a couple of days ago:

...Wanna trade ?

...Is your rear sprocket a 5-bolt mounting? If so, I have multiple dozens of them.

Last edited:
I thought you meant an El Tigre like this.
That's the Bird El Tigre, I like that one too but not as much. The only minibike I like better than the model I got today is a Wards Gilson. I had a Gilson way back but never the All American El Tigre, Penney's and Wards were in the same mall but the folks had a ward card so the Gilson was the one I got. I so wanted that chrome, that's why I might have the holes filled and welds dressed and chrome it. I'll never get what I'll end up having in it should I sell but I'll have that chrome Penney's bike and that's worth taking a beating for. I'm going back original with the Gator and white piped seat when it's done too, worth it all day if I'm gonna restore a minibike. This will be the only one I actually restore of the now eight vintage minis I have. :thumbsup:

Wow...Nicer than the one I got a couple of days ago:

...Wanna trade ?

...Is your rear sprocket a 5-bolt mounting? If so, I have multiple dozens of them.
I saw your swap meet find Mac, I thought it was a good find and the price was great! Mine was a fair price for Oklahoma, we don't get too many at least on a regular basis but I buy as many as I can.:thumbsup:

I'll PM you on the sprocket, it's the very same one I need. I actually thought you'd likely have one if anyone did. Thanks!

Excellent score :thumbsup: ... I like the wheels a lot and that frame design rocks !!
Thanks! Yeah I just came in from taking some stuff loose and spraying WD40 on some other stuff, that little round tank is in very good shape and will be good for something. The engine is not locked up but it's :censure: up, maybe something on it. The Comet clutch looks fairly new and it had a Tillotson float type carb that may be something very cool. More pics tomorrow!:thumbsup:

I have had two of what I think is the same bike as yours, I could never get a real ID from anyone before. Someone said All American, and they were also called a Maverick :shrug: But they look to have been the same frame as yours.

Actually have seen a few around. And the one was for sure a crhome bike, but was too far gone for me to worry about. Good score Andy

I have had two of what I think is the same bike as yours, I could never get a real ID from anyone before. Someone said All American, and they were also called a Maverick :shrug: But they look to have been the same frame as yours.

Actually have seen a few around. And the one was for sure a crhome bike, but was too far gone for me to worry about. Good score Andy
Thanks, yeah they called em Mavericks as well. I always liked the design and the way the sprocket allowed you to see the wheel, the chrome drew me in as a kid mostly though just like today.:laugh:

1stlegendtx

Thanks! I'm happy as can be, not too often the "one" falls into your lap. The wheels are great and that makes a big difference on these for me, one of the slickest designs of all times as minibike wheels go IMO.:thumbsup:
I always liked the wheels on the early ones the best. Here's mine..........

I always liked the wheels on the early ones the best. Here's mine..........
That is what mine will look like eventually, I think spending the money to rechrome it will be worth it in the end given the value I place on one. I have a few ahead of it so once the wheels are clean and boxed it'll be disassembled for dry storage in my attic till it's time.:thumbsup:

Nice score Andy :thumbsup:
Thanks! Yeah I'd love to get right on this one but I have too many projects that I've been methodically gathering parts for along the way. Getting ready to order a jackshaft kit for the Trailhorse so it'll be closer to reality. I have nearly everything for it and the Cat 300x, seats are next then I'll contemplate paint and assembly given neither need any major work. The El Tigre will wait a while but I'll be searching for fenders and a chainguard as well as some shocks to put up with it. Like always, on the lookout for the next great deal!:thumbsup: