Tony Stewart Incident

I'm just saying Tony can't use the blame it on the kid route since he has been guilty of doing the exact same thing.
And on that I agree. Not making excuses for anyone.

Years ago I almost clipped a safety worker during a yellow. Two cars had wrecked and we we going slow. The safety guy jumped back from the wreck he was tending and almost walked into the line of cars as we were parading around. It is not as easy to see everything on the track as some of you think.

Last edited:
As far as Stewart racing on someone's home track goes he does it regularly and many drivers feel honored to be racing with/against such a legend. I'm sure others feel differently but I would personally be honored. I've only ever raced a factory stock in a couple of heat races so the car owner/driver (my Dad) who was hurt would not lose points so I'm no race car driver by any standard.

I am a race fan though and this is a tragedy, and if Stewart did intentionally stay high on the track to intimidate or tease the young man then he shares the blame the way I see it even if he didn't throttle the car. I know enough to understand that in a caution situation a driver should take the bottom of the track unless the wreck is there. I see no criminal actions but it was an avoidable tragedy and now many lives will never be the same.

I think these people do not understand the concept of stagger or understand that sprint cars have live rear axles. That means no differential. The left and rear tires are locked together. THAT is why they run stagger. It makes the car turn left like a cone rolling on the ground. To even go straight in a sprint car, the rear tires have to slide because they fight each other because the right side tire is 10-20" larger in circumference. Then there is track width. The rear wheels stick out more than a foot beyond the fronts. So that means if you just barely miss an obstacle with the fronts, you are going to hit it with the rear.
Thanks for joining a mini bike site and using your one and only post to impart your infinite sprint car wizdom upon is...we are not worthy.

Here is the scenario Tony faced. He sees Ward at the last instant...misses him with the front, and then knows from experience instantly that he has to move the rear of his car left. If he turns the wheels left, the rear will actually go right..which will hit Ward more. If he hits the rear brake, the stagger and live axle will cause the front of the car to pivot around the rear, and actually the swing the nerf bar more into Ward. Left front brake will cause the left front of the car to dive, and the rear will go more into Ward. The only thing is to gas hard to break the rears loose, and turn right in hopes of pivoting the car around Ward, which is exactly what Tony did.
You figured all that out by watching the Youtube clip huh...?..he did all that thinking and calculating at the last instant..?.fascinating.

First he ran him over because he didn't see him..track was dark, black firesuit. He never turned the wheel...the kid threw himself under the car... it was the act of driving over the body that turned the wheels. And it wasn't Tony who gassed the car, it was somebody else on the far end of the track that stomped the throttle....no wait, wait...I know, Tony DID see him, but he instantly computed all of his options and decided that stomping the throttle sliding the car and then pivoting around the kid was the only way to save him.

Too bad it didn't work...oh well at least we now know why he gassed the car and turned the wheels...he was just trying to save the kid.

Awesome job Tony...thanks for trying :thumbsup:

Last edited:
By no means am I saying there isn't a tragedy here. A life was lost needlessly.

My opinion is that Kevin's wreckless and rage fueled actions are what started and ultimately ended this tragedy. It started when he wouldn't get off the gas and put himself in the wall.

Blame Tony all you want. Kevin tried to play chicken with a moving vehicle and lost.

buckeye

I sure hope I never get in trouble in some of ya'll's town.

Already hung, called a killer, make him pay, with very little evidence but a crappy cell phone video half a track away. :shrug:

I'm new here, so I hope I don't offend anyone with my opinion, but since you asked...

The circle track guys play way to rough to begin with. This is supposed to be "racing", not bumper cars. You're supposed to give the other guy room, not stuff him into the wall like that. The things circle track guys do, would never be allowed in F1.

Tony Stewart is a special kind of idiot. He's already run over 2 pit crew, causing serious injuries. When you're in a car, and someone else is on foot, you have to take special care not to injure that person. Yes, you are your brother's keeper. You didn't see Matt try to run over Tony, after Tony threw his helmet.

Having said that, I feel really sorry for Tony Stewart right now. This guilt will be with him for the rest of his life. He may have finally learned a lesson, but way too late.

I sure hope I never get in trouble in some of ya'll's town.

Already hung, called a killer, make him pay, with very little evidence but a crappy cell phone video half a track away. :shrug:
Tom, you're forgetting the eyewitness accounts.

I guess you guys would know better than the people who were actually witness to it:

Tyler Graves, a sprint-car racer and friend of Ward's, told Sporting News in a phone interview that he was sitting in the Turn 1 grandstands and saw everything that happened.
"Tony pinched him into the frontstretch wall, a racing thing," Graves said. "The right rear tire went down, he spun on the exit of (Turn) 2. They threw the caution and everything was toned down. Kevin got out of his car. … He was throwing his arms up all over the place at Tony for most of the corner.
"I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards."

Rich Willis, who was at the track, said he didn’t see exactly what happened but his sister down in Turn 1 did. His description was similar to that of Graves and video of the tragedy showed Stewart's car hitting Ward.
“People (who could see it better) said the guy got out of his car and was gesturing angrily at Tony Stewart when Tony Stewart came by during the next lap under yellow,” Willis said in a phone interview. “He approached him and evidently when he was driving by the guy standing on the track gesturing at him, he gunned his engine.
“What happened was the back end kicked out and clipped the guy and the guy flew across the track.”
Graves said it appeared to him that Stewart swerved before gunning the engine but he did not believe it was intentional.
"You never mean to do something like that," Graves said. "Kevin was pissed and he let Tony know. And Tony was trying to give the message back that he wasn't happy either. He went over the line with it."

Tony Stewart hits, kills walking driver on sprint-car track - NASCAR - Sporting News
Kevin was already out of the car by the time Tony was on the front straightaway. You can't tell me Tony wasn't looking at turn 2 to see Kevin storming out of his car. He could have avoided the confrontation by stopping his car right there. But my guess is Tony thought I am going to give him a little scare or kick dirt out at Kevin but his stunt went horribly wrong.

pomfish

Here's the bottom line.

If the car in front of Stewart hits him (Which he damn near did) and kills him, all you would have read was;

Race car driver killed at small track in upstate New York.

Kid decided he was a stunt person with the reflexes of a Cheetah, Darwin said NO.
Sorry story with a sad ending, but the video doesn't lie.
Stewart's car went sideways because it had a body under it.

Only good from all this is there will be new rules, you get out and confront a driver under caution on the track, you will sit for a long time.
For the record, not a Stewart fan nor a hater.

Later,
Keith

How bout a little remorse for a kid and his family , yes he did something stupid that many short track drivers have done exactly the same , I don't know the stats on how many out if car races have been killed doing the samething ? I'm leaning towards few to none ! Pomfish , I'm glad you never did anything stupid when you were 20 , I personally know I'm lucky to be here at 50 ! Its a shame and a terrible accident , isn't that enough ?

If all of this "rage on the racetrack" BS was never tolerated (the way it should have been IMHO), it would not have become an accepted part of the sport.
To me the sanctioning bodies should never have allowed this type of action on the track. In the pits, that has been happening forever but to have this type of behavior become commonplace on the racetrack is deplorable.

I am a huge fan of winged dirt sprint car racing, and I will say sadly that if this incident didn't involve Tony Stewart, this would have just been another driver killed at a small dirt oval track, we prob would have never even known about it. It is a dangerous enough sport already, one only has to look at the number of great drivers who got killed or hurt in this sport. I am not a Tony Stewart fan but I don't hate him either.

Unless the car is on fire, drivers are supposed to stay in the car. Why would anyone try and chase down a moving race car while on foot?

This whole incident is an unfortunate tragedy, both drivers prob are at fault but IMHO Ward was a little more at fault plus again I blame the tracks and the sanctioning bodies for allowing and condoning this behavior on the racing surface.
Being a crybaby and throwing a temper tantrum was never tolerated when I was growing up both drivers would be black flagged and disqualified. And they would have fought in the pits afterwards but they both would have lived to race another day. :shrug:

I fear that the media attention will change the sport for the worse, I really hope that doesn't happen but history shows that it prob will.

pomfish

How bout a little remorse for a kid and his family , yes he did something stupid that many short track drivers have done exactly the same , I don't know the stats on how many out if car races have been killed doing the samething ? I'm leaning towards few to none ! Pomfish , I'm glad you never did anything stupid when you were 20 , I personally know I'm lucky to be here at 50 ! Its a shame and a terrible accident , isn't that enough ?
Sorry, didn't mean it that way, yes, I did lot's of stupid things. But I never played dodge ball with cars on the freeway.

I tried to get an azzhole local to veer away from a box turtle on the road in front of my house recently and he totally ignored me, aimed for and killed the turtle.
If I had trusted him to step on out into the lane of travel, maybe I would be with Darwin.

I feel terrible for the kid's family. Something that should not have happened, yet it did.
My point was Stewart was not the only car to come way too close to this driver. The other driver certainly wasn't out to get him and was running the same line as Tony, so when people say Tony was way up high, sorry don't see it.

I remember watching him late nights 20 years ago on TNN and ESPN driving midget and Silver Crown cars. He could drive the wheels off of anything. You could just tell he was great and was destined to become one of the greatest race car drivers of all time, just like his boyhood hero A.J. Foyt. He is also a hot head and a bully just like his boyhood hero A.J.Foyt. I’ve seen all his on and off the track tantrums, seen him turn guys @ 200 mph, and cause massive wrecks because his car wasn’t good enough or he admittedly made a bad decision to block or come down on somebody. Pit road fights…hell I even saw him in street clothes one time punch out some guy who was a track official cause he didn’t like something the guy said. All A.J. type of stuff and good old boy stuff..no big deal really.

He has turned tens of thousands…maybe a million laps in those dirt cars. Daytime, night time, rain, smoke fog. That car is like a part of him, he could see a pebble in the track @ 100 mph…he can read the berm that forms in the dirt at the wall on the darkest and slickest of nights and he can thread a needle with that car. That’s what makes him so good. If he says he didn’t see that guy walking down the track and waving his arms at him while driving around at caution speed then he’s a liar. If he didn’t see him then why did he blip the throttle? He hit the throttle because he wasn’t going to let some punk kid call out the great Tony Stewart or show him up in front of a stadium full of people. He blipped the throttle to spook the kid, or throw a roost on him or maybe even run over his toes. I don’t think he meant to hurt the kid…the car stepped out more than he thought it would or the kid was closer than he thought he was and he ran him over. I’d bet if you ask any driver or crew chief that was there or anybody that lives the life of a dirt car racer and got an honest answer from them they will tell you that’s what happened. Strange how most all the other drivers are quiet...almost like a code of silence among them.

Yeah … “if the kid had stayed in his car he would still be alive”. I keep hearing this and obviously that’s true. The funny thing is I hear it from “race fans”. If they are real race fans than they know that this is a common occurrence for the driver to get out of the car on the track and confront the offending driver. It’s an act of bravado. Guys like Stewart are famous for it and it happens every single night at a some track somewhere across the country. And the same people that are pointing a finger at the kid saying he got what he deserved are the same idiots who cheer when they see it on TV every weekend and it’s “their guy” doing it. It’s a stupid/reckless thing to do…but seldom or ever results in death.
To say he (Stewart) was just driving around minding his own business and suddenly ran this guy over that he never even saw… coincidentally a split second after he inexplicably gasses the throttle..well you’re either very naïve or so obsessed with being a fan of Tony Stewart that you’ve lost your senses.

If that was your 20 year old kid lying crumpled up dead in the berm I have a feeling you would feel differently.

Only Tony Stewart knows what was going through his mind and he has to live with it.

Anyway you asked…. that’s the way I see it. The kid did something stupid but shouldn't have had to pay for it with his life.

(Just saw your post Havasu D...sorry I gotta disagree with you on this one bud I think Tony hit the throttle)

My thoughts exactly. Many people put the blame on the kid and must have "forgotten" TS's history of temper tantrums. I don't think he meant to injure the kid but I do believe he tried to show him who is boss. This time it backfired.

All of this showboating crap should have been squashed years ago. Winners never did burnouts after winning races either, they did a victory lap, kissed the trophy queen gave a short interview thanking their sponsors and their crew and that was it.

.......Here is the scenario Tony faced. He sees Ward at the last instant...misses him with the front, and then knows from experience instantly that he has to move the rear of his car left. If he turns the wheels left, the rear will actually go right..which will hit Ward more. If he hits the rear brake, the stagger and live axle will cause the front of the car to pivot around the rear, and actually the swing the nerf bar more into Ward. Left front brake will cause the left front of the car to dive, and the rear will go more into Ward. The only thing is to gas hard to break the rears loose, and turn right in hopes of pivoting the car around Ward, which is exactly what Tony did.
The most reasonable first post in history.:thumbsup:
That's the same "crappy cell phone video taken a half track away" that the guy analyzed with his crystal ball and you called it "the most reasonable first post in history"

You can't make this stuff up....or I guess you can.