Toro/Tecumseh 2 stroke engines

The Tec 2-cycle manual shows a couple different setups. I'm plugging the compression release holes on mine, and trimmed the length of a LB wrist pin, as it's internally plugged. My Tec released through the wrist pin, but allowed hot mix back in so I'll end all that.

The Tec 2-cycle manual shows a couple different setups. I'm plugging the compression release holes on mine, and trimmed the length of a LB wrist pin, as it's internally plugged. My Tec released through the wrist pin, but allowed hot mix back in so I'll end all that.
I'm not quite understanding this here. I'd be cool if we could find a successful way to hot rod these Tec 3hp 2 cycle engines.

I'm not quite understanding this here. I'd be cool if we could find a successful way to hot rod these Tec 3hp 2 cycle engines.
I couldn't find one in Canadian. Aboot page 45 there's a cutaway drawing.
file:///C:/Users/Straubel/Downloads/TECUMSEH-SERVICE--REPAIR-MANUAL-2-CYCLE-AH520-AH600-AV520-AV600-HSK600-TVS600-Craftsman-200-Series-692508%20(5).pdf

Oh, and I'm sure they'll hot up easily. Compression, porting, breathing, the regular stuff. That 85cc job will always be a little light on power, but you won't pull the end off the throttle cable, if ya stay in your back yard :)

s200porting021.jpg

Without the inlet manifold blocking the middle of the port, it really opens the transfer area. You could drill the piston to allow the old intake hole through sleeve, to act as a boost port. Cools/lubes the small end and underside of the piston.

View attachment 92387

Without the inlet manifold blocking the middle of the port, it really opens the transfer area. You could drill the piston to allow the old intake hole through sleeve, to act as a boost port. Cools/lubes the small end and underside of the piston.
Wow you've done some major work here. Very interesting! I take it those two top intake holes were not there when you started? So when the piston is at TDC the intake skirt is trimmed away where the existing intake port was? Two cycle induction theory has always amazed me.

Wow you've done some major work here. Very interesting! I take it those two top intake holes were not there when you started? So when the piston is at TDC the intake skirt is trimmed away where the existing intake port was? Two cycle induction theory has always amazed me.
Oops, not my pic, just an internet grab to show the design you have. Oval in center is where your stock intake port is, controlled by piston skirt lower edge. Upper holes and lower opening are transfer ports. Lad has smoothed them a bit.
Driveway Port Toro S200? (Tecumseh) -pics | Arboristsite.com

And, a lesser sized version of this is what I mean by the booster port cut in piston. If you replace intake and cover with a flat plate, it all becomes a transfer port area.
s-l225.jpg

West Bend uses a similar cover for intake/transfer, but has a reed so the intake need not be sealed. Thread has several versions of added boost ports, as well as "trenched" extra boost paths. Old sled racers did much the same, called them "finger ports".
820 ports - WEST BEND ENGINE ARCHIVE - Member Projects - Vintage Karts Forums

Hey that's cool that there is other forums talking about these engines. Now I really want to get one of these modded and mounted on a minibike!

I'd be really sweet if we could find a stronger connecting rod for this family of engines. I'm really contemplating buying that bottom mount reed plate and finding a way to block off that transfer port intake adapter.

Hey that's cool that there is other forums talking about these engines. Now I really want to get one of these modded and mounted on a minibike!

I'd be really sweet if we could find a stronger connecting rod for this family of engines. I'm really contemplating buying that bottom mount reed plate and finding a way to block off that transfer port intake adapter.
Even chainsaw sites have the mod guys.
The transfer plate is easy, but between the small size and the rod, digging for a Toro CCR with the R-Tec seems a better go. Esentially the chilly version of the Dura Force.

Even chainsaw sites have the mod guys.
The transfer plate is easy, but between the small size and the rod, digging for a Toro CCR with the R-Tec seems a better go. Esentially the chilly version of the Dura Force.
Another member on here did end up using one of those R-tek engines. Essentially a piston port version of the LB Duraforce engine. Performance was quite lacking compared to the case reed version. One day I'm going to muster up the cash to buy a brand new US820 CCW rotating 3/4" shaft engine. Only if these were cloned by the China man!! Oh man...

Another member on here did end up using one of those R-tek engines. Essentially a piston port version of the LB Duraforce engine. Performance was quite lacking compared to the case reed version. One day I'm going to muster up the cash to buy a brand new US820 CCW rotating 3/4" shaft engine. Only if these were cloned by the China man!! Oh man...
Haa. I saw the R-Tek disappointment. I'm sure that a reed cage can be incorporated. GEM did conversions on all sorts of old engines.

I have a pair of M's and will measure port timing compared to the DF and an R-Tek when one bounces in the scrap pile. 8 of 10 are 3-5 Tecs though and often stuck or worn out, gouged out.

I have a pair of fairly nice WB820s that I'm torn on building, build-sell, or sell in bits as a lot or parted.

That'd be cool to add a reed cage to an R-tek engine. Yeah I look at "Gem" parts on ebay and vintage karting sites, seriously cool stuff they had back then.

Was the M series of LB engines the one that were made by a Japanese company?

Oh nice and lucky you! What direction does the PTO rotate and what type of shaft do they have?

That'd be cool to add a reed cage to an R-tek engine. Yeah I look at "Gem" parts on ebay and vintage karting sites, seriously cool stuff they had back then.

Was the M series of LB engines the one that were made by a Japanese company?

Oh nice and lucky you! What direction does the PTO rotate and what type of shaft do they have?
M was a Suzuki knockoff, with added displacement. Pretty sure it was in-house at LB/OMC and "borrowed heavily" from the Toro/Suzuki. I have a Wisconsin/Robin, also quite similar, and still 125cc like the S.

I think they are CCW but pretty simple swap.