Tote gote model 706 info needed

Looking for information on a Bonham tote gote. Model 706. Serial 167. I recently acquired this bike and cannot find any information other than wiki. If any one has any - year mfg., options, pictures etc. I would like to see or hear about them!

I saw this on e-bay and I wished I lived closer to Michigan. 706 was a very rare model with aircraft tires. It is very hard to put a date on tote gotes because there weren't records kept. The first number in the model # usually is the horsepower of the briggs motor. The 7hp briggs started in 1966 so that should give you a ballpark. What makes this rare is the front end, wide for the aircraft tires and no suspension.

I saw this on e-bay and I wished I lived closer to Michigan. 706 was a very rare model with aircraft tires. It is very hard to put a date on tote gotes because there weren't records kept. The first number in the model # usually is the horsepower of the briggs motor. The 7hp briggs started in 1966 so that should give you a ballpark. What makes this rare is the front end, wide for the aircraft tires and no suspension.
Thanks for the information. The PO said he could never find any info on it either. I plan on a full restoration of this bike.
A few other questions -
Would this bike have had the expanded metal sides?
What would have been the advantage, other than stability, of the wide tires?
Who was this type of bike built for? Use?
My bike has brake lights on it. The motor has a lighting magneto. Would it have had a headlight also?

Thanks in advance.

706 ad

This is the only print information I can find on the 706. I was wrong about the hp. This may push the production date back as far as '63. It looks like a 6hp motor on your gote and this model of briggs is just as hard to date.

I can see the front and rear light brackets. Your motor is a real keeper if the lighting coil is intact. Most parts for these motors are still available. 6hp, 7hp and 8hp briggs all are the same outside dimensions. 90 percent of the parts are interchangeable including the tin, recoil/fan shroud and carb parts. Tote gotes came with a 'climbaway' clutch that the Bonham Corp built. They aren't easy to find an usually cost as much as a new aftermarket clutch. A comet series 40 (or a GTC40) will work.

Last edited:
Tote Gote - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is what I can find.
Tote gote engine numbers
Briggs and Stratton
M-142302
T-0217 01
S-414448

Yes, the lighting coil and fuse bracket are all there. Just a couple of broken wires. I have not run the engine yet. Still in the cleaning process. I see the 706 ad you posted doesn't show the brake lights. Mine has them.
The plot thickens..........

The rear light bracket is correct for a tote gote, looks like even your lens' are intact. Still haven't found a way to date these motors from the serial #. Pull of the fan shroud/recoil and look at the coil. They changed the coil around 1960. The early vertical post coil is obsolete and if it fails, you will need to change the flywheel along with the coil. The horizontzl core coil is what you want to see.

That is an old style coil but it looks almost new. If it works, keep it. super rare to have the lighting coil. nice
Yes, it works good. Nice crisp spark. Even with just spinning the flywheel by hand. This picture was taken after a good degreasing and steam cleaning. I am hoping to reassemble it this weekend and hopefully run it. Then it will be time for a paint job.

Last edited:
Ok, got the motor re-assembled. I re-wired the lighting coil assembly due to the original wiring being quite brittle. Ran it on a squirt of ether - took off on first pull! Now time for some paint.
Also, anyone know if blank/replacement model and serial plates are available? I would like to replace mine as it is quite faded. I can re-stamp the numbers myself.

Motra

Still haven't found a way to date these motors from the serial #.
I've called Briggs before and gotten the build date on these old engines. They have records for them. The 18 year old gum smackin' girl that answers the phone probably can't help much, you've gotta get through to the service department.