Tracktilla

Got some good tillers for $25 and pulled the engines, I was about to chuck the parts of the bodies I don't need for fabbing mini's when it hit me,,,,, I ran the idea by my son and he was pumped to make a mini tractor for the yard.

We started with a drive from a real nice Troy built and used the wheels from another tiller for the steering and welded them together.

The wheels at the rear that is driven by the gear box is a real low gear but hooked up this way would make it go back wards so we are going to extend the shaft and turn the engine around. We converted the belt pulley to a jack shaft gear and will use an old jack shaft to extend it for the engine switch.

Heres how it looked after welding, it didn't take long and the parts almost fit perfectly from the start. All parts use will be from stuff we have on hand, mostly old part we aren't using. (like the 3HP engine. We will get better slightly smaller tires for the front at harbor freight later.

The middle drive turns faster and we will use that for thatching and aerating and we are going to make a snow plow attachment and reel mower attachment as well. The great thing is it takes up very little room in the shed and is very slim. Steering will be a simple bar and throttle a tiller lever. Seat will be a simle springer type.... It should be able to pull a truck with the low gearing!

We hope to get it all fabbed up and running next week.

Yep! I got one of those 2 wheel tractors in my backyard, it's an old rear tine roto tiller, maybe I'll get some ideals from you guys sure will be interesting to see how it all turns out, keep the thread flowing with pics, Ideals sometimes turn into inventions, good luck!
dave

Now don't go expecting too much! We will try and keep it simple since we have 14 mini's to restore this summer! :doah: Just got another tonight too! :doah::eek:ut::doah:

Will try to work on "Tractilla" this week though. :wink:

We set the Tactilla up to drive forward today, the shaft on the tiller was a hair smaller than a jack shaft so we kept the pulley and fitted and welded an old jack shaft to it.

Again the abject of this project is to use stuff/JUNK we have on hand and use as much tiller parts as possible and no trips to the store.

Then we welded in two mounts for barrings to support the long shaft as well as beefed up the box under the engine. There is some ugly ass welding on the back hanger. (that was the Vodka) :doah:

Here it is hooked up with 35 chain and a 18 tooth sprocket

Heres a perspective on how small it is. We tacked on a temp steering bar and coffee can seat to see how she drives.

[/img]

Well, we drove it in the back yard and ran great but we had a little problem,, the slick wheels just slide when turning sharp and there no weight up front so we might have to get better wheels and sit more foreword. We tried a 14 and 18 tooth sprocket and the little bugger is pretty slow (like tractors are) but will push you if you try to stop it. I was woried about a clutch with this set up but it doesn't get hot at all and works well with the slow low gearing. We might try wheels on the faster middle axle and let the rear free spin. OR we might unbolt the body in the middle and put a front end on the back and scrap the jack shaft set up and turn the engine back around.

One funny thing is that engine had a good but dirty carb so I put on this nasty looking carb that must have been outside for years and you would think theres no way in hell it would work and it fires up first pull every time and works great. :eek:ut: