Trail horse mini bike rear sprocket hub

So I just acquired another trail horse but this one has 3 spoke 2 peice aluminum wheels on it. My other has steel wheels. So I got a clutch brake since I had no way to add a brake drum on the other side. Got it all together and now when it's rolling the chain goes from loose to tight I think the sprocket and or hub is bent. Has anyone had any success replacing those parts? It's a 3 bolt hub on the wheel side and 5 bolts from hub to sprocket.

125ccCrazy

sounds like the sprocket is oscillating or the chain is stretched... a pic of the wheel will be some help in locating replacement parts.

The bike is at my shop and I'm at home I'll get pics tomorrow. But I don't think it's bent I think the rear sprocket is not centered. How do I go about getting the sprocket centered. The bolts a slightly smaller then the holes in the sprocket and hub so it can move slightly before I tighten it but have tried to center it with no success. brand new chain btw

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

that will cause oscillating... you could either redrill and tap the wheel for a larger bolt or hit the local hardware or hobby store, take the sprocket and bolt with you and look for their brass tube selection..find a piece that fits over the bolt snug and if the tube is still smaller than the sprocket hole find the next larger tube that slides over the first tube tight, you may need 2, 3, 4 pieces of tube to shim up the bolt to the sprocket hole..once you find the tubes needed cut short sections the thickness of the sprocket, slide them over the bolts and bolt the sprocket back on the wheel..this will center the bolts...You should use an Axacto hobby saw (fine) to cut the tubing.

Yeah I can not find any bolts that fit exact to the hole. Drilling the hole bigger to accept the larger bolts seems hard to do as well. I would only have to ream the hole slightly larger to fit a larger bolt but it seams that it would be hard to center the larger hole for all 5 bolts that hold it on the hub. Maybe Im just overthinking it and just taking a drill and reaming the holes slightly would be easy.