Two Spring Chain Tensioners

manco12

I believe I mentioned this idea here before. I would like to hear what some you guys thing.

First, I believe that one spring chain tensioner only works half of the time, usually during acceleration. The problem is, without a very stiff spring, this chain tensioner will do nothing during deceleration when the slack part of the chain is no longer the bottom but the top. If you used a chain tensioner on both the bottom and top of the chain. I believe at any given time, one of the chain teensioners will be working while the other will be overridden by the tighter part of the chain.

What do you guys think?

scootercat

Makes sense,I was pondering a tensioner that rides top and bottom that worked off of each other....Both on one pivot,tensioned by one coil spring....I have seen this set up on cycles in the past,mostly on cross country dirt bikes like those running in the Baha races....Scootercat....

manco12

Makes sense,I was pondering a tensioner that rides top and bottom that worked off of each other....Both on one pivot,tensioned by one coil spring....I have seen this set up on cycles in the past,mostly on cross country dirt bikes like those running in the Baha races....Scootercat....
That sounds like a good idea. I vaguely thought of that too but then realized the Puma doesn't have room for that. No matter how I do it, it's going to be tight. I was thinking I could get a taller rear sprocket if I need to and that would help a little. I have the smallest sprocket on the tav side and could always go up on that one to even it out. Regardless, the top tensioner on my bike will have to be more of a guide than a wheel to save space. Maybe I could have some type of thin roller in it though.

If you find anything or have any links, post them here. Maybe it'll motivate us :D

I was thinking of adding an adjustable stop on mine. Just some thing to keep it from being able to move in its full arc, but still allow some movement for incocistencies in the sprocket. It has a stiff spring on it already and it will rub the engine plate on decelleration, and going to a heavier spring will cause unecessary wear on the clutch!

manco12

Yeah, that's why I donn't like the stiff spring idea. For it to even work, the spring needs to be too stiff. I need a good chain tensioner setup because I have rear suspension too. And my sprocket isn't perfect.

Wow ....glad i read this .........I was considering a chain tensioner but did not think about the load on the clutch.....

So for a spring loaded one ....the spring must be pretty strong for it to work?...Jdog i was going to make one like yours ....would you suggest it now after using it ?.....

Thanks guys

Jim

manco12

Wow ....glad i read this .........I was considering a chain tensioner but did not think about the load on the clutch.....

So for a spring loaded one ....the spring must be pretty strong for it to work?...Jdog i was going to make one like yours ....would you suggest it now after using it ?.....

Thanks guys

Jim
A spring loaded tensioner works during acceleration but not deceleration. I don't believe just using a stronger spring is going to work effectively. And if you did use a strong spring, I believe it would make the chain too tight. I've messed around with a single spring chain tensioner, my advice is don't bother. Well, that is, if you really rely on the chain tensioner to keep the chain on. Like I said, it will keep the chain from flopping around during acceleration.

Hey Jim! I really dont think its necessary unless you have a long distance from sprocket to sprocket. Just leave 3/4'' play! As far as mine Ive never thrown a chain and it does slap around when decelerating. Ive thought about doing away with it.....but I think it looks pretty cool! :laugh:

The cool factor and wanting to home make the little thing was what drew me in..... Jdog yours looks the part....

Im on a stock @zz-Usa frame ...so...

Guess I wont bother till I see whats what....

I never had any problems w/ my old Mini chain....

Jim

Now You got Me thinkin'....Again...The two idler wheels mounted on a "S" shaped bracket that pivots in the middle twisted by a coil spring.....But...Have it mounted on its own arm,like what You have now....remove the old idler wheel,add the tensioner/idler thingie with just enough pressure to tighten the slack,and let it ride up on down as needed on the frame mounted arm.......Wheeeuw...Its friday:thumbsup:....Scootercat....

Now You got Me thinkin'....Again...The two idler wheels mounted on a "S" shaped bracket that pivots in the middle twisted by a coil spring.....But...Have it mounted on its own arm,like what You have now....remove the old idler wheel,add the tensioner/idler thingie with just enough pressure to tighten the slack,and let it ride up on down as needed on the frame mounted arm.......Wheeeuw...Its friday:thumbsup:....Scootercat....
okay, you're starting to loose me now :laugh:
I get you're basic idea though :thumbsup:

I looked at the link and thats kinda what I was driving at,it looks like it pivots and is held in tension by the spring in the back....It also "floats" like I was saying just enough pressure to keep the chain in control and not too much to cause wear on the clutch bushing....more like a shock absorber taming the bumps in the trail....Scootercat....

Looking at it again, I see it would work. For some reason at first I was thinking that it would only work for acceleration or something, I don't know what I was thinking :eek:ut:

Either way, my bike dosen't have room for that :doah:

EDIT: maybe it would need a spring from the top roller too for deceleration so that it pushes the other way on the chain when the bottom of the chain is under pressure. Because if the bottom roller dosen't move, the top roller dosen't move. I hope I'm making sense, I feel a little braindead right now

Last edited: