Updates and Upgrades

Alba

Hey guys I'm very new to the forum. I recently purchased a minibike this past week in hopes of getting it ready for the minibike drags that a local car club was holding. Unfortunately that was not in the cards so now the plan is kind of a total rebuild.

The bike has an old (probably 60's) Craftsman engine on it that I can no longer get a replacement pull start for. On top of that the clutch seems a little suspect. The motor sounds ok being that the only way to start it is with a drill it's looking like I may purchase a brand new Harbor Freight motor, such as this one: 6.5 HP (212cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine

Along with that, the bike needs a new throttle assembly. I was thinking of going with one from a motorcycle. If anyone had any suggestions on that, it would be great.

Lastly I was thinking about using a band brake on the clutch. Is there any certain brands or set ups that are better than others.

Any help you guys can give me would be great. Thanks!

Also this is my bike

old-timer

Scamming Member
Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Nice little bike and def worth fixing up. Looks like all you need is a replacement recoil starter as far as the motor goes :shrug:

Vic

that motor is certainly worth fixing up an old rupp deserves an old tecumseh. pull start should be easy to find put up a wtb ad in the classifieds here :thumbsup:

Alba

I posted this in the classifieds section where I have a thread going but I'm not sure if people check back on things they previously wrote, but I have another question for you guys...

Do you guys think that this spring would work for my application?

Tecumseh Engine Genuine 590414 Recoil Starter Spring CLOSEOUT | eBay

Here's a picture of my recoil starter disassembled.

If I can I'd like to keep the motor on it but starting it with a drill is kind of a pain in the butt. Thanks for your help guys.

That looks like the right one :thumbsup: They can be a real pain to get wound right though :doah: and while you have it apart put a new rope in there too :thumbsup: and clean all the insides too

take a look at the engine plate if it is 2 piece it would make it a 1969 rupp. If it has a single piece plate it would be a 68. Take a look at the pictures on the forum and see how good that thing would look if restored. Nice find

Alba

take a look at the engine plate if it is 2 piece it would make it a 1969 rupp. If it has a single piece plate it would be a 68. Take a look at the pictures on the forum and see how good that thing would look if restored. Nice find
The engine plate is a one piece, so I'm assuming '68. I ordered the spring so hopefully that gets here soon and I can get the pull start working properly again. I can't wait to ride this thing around a bit before I tear it down for cleaning and paint.

On that note I'd really like to get some brakes on it that would've come stock. Seeing that it is an old bike I'd love to kind of get it back to it's former glory and would love to get some stock brakes on it. Being a '68 I'm assuming it would have the disc brake set up thing? (Just guessing from some research I've been doing.) I'll try to take a picture of the sprocket side of the back, maybe that will help you guys help me.

If anyone knows where I could get that set up or if they're selling it please let me know.

Thanks again, you guys have been very helpful.

Alba

Here's some close up views of the back tire and part of the brake linkage (I guess) ... any info on what brake setup I need and how to obtain it would be great.

As always ... thanks guys.

i think the caliper is suposed to squeeze on the inside hoop of the sprocket there but im not sure. Try looking through the pics in the Rupp phot section maybe you can find something there

Alba

Well I've been making some progress on the ol' girl. Got a fresh coat of paint on her and she's looking pretty good these days. I'm just waiting on a buddy to sell me a clone motor and I'll literally be off and running.

Here's some shots of her getting put back together.

Alba

Let me know how your predator engine works out. I am going to try and brake mine in today. I put it on my broncco colt

I definitely will. I'm just waiting on a buddy to take it off of his bike this winter. He says it runs great, and from what I hear from some other guys into the hobby they're a great deal considering their price.

I just road mine I barely hit the throttle and it wheelied and threw me off and I am 225lbs needles to say I wasnt expecting it it was hysterical:eek:

Alba

Well it's been a little bit since I've updated ... only some much time for the fun things. I haven't updated the bike all that much but I did get the motor painted and reinstalled. I found a pull start finally for it so that, along with a new throttle assembly and clutch band brake will be coming in soon. After that it's all ridin' and smilin'. Here are some more updated pics of the little guy.

Alba

Thanks guys ... Any ideas other than Ebay to find an original style gas tank? I would love to put on of those bad boys on there.