Valve stem question

When changing a tire, I always try and use the original vintage tube as they are much thicker:thumbsup: The old dry rotted tires hold air but when I put a new tire on and re-insert the valve stem,......................Why does it always leak?:eek:ut: Is it because I am disturbing the dead.:laugh: I have even bought new valve stems and they still leak.:shrug: Any suggestions. Thanks

CarPlayLB

The seat where the new stem and the the old tube meet may have corrosion on them. Maybe get out the specs and check that out!...otherwise, use a good metal cap!:doah:

Good idea about the cap:laugh: I just wrestled with a tire for a hour and I am not taking that a part again:laugh: It does happen to me all the time.:eek:ut:

Those things have a little o-ring on them always put a dab of liquid soap or WD-40 on them before re-installing. Also try and lubricate the little spring loaded plunger so it doesn't stick. Just give the whole thing a shot of WD-40 and operate the valve stem a few times to make sure it is free.

Last edited: