VDO Speedometer for Super Bronc

Hello all. I am looking for a Speedo cable for my VDO (factory)Speedometer. I have the Head and the transmission. I have talked to Ron (the guy that worked at Heald everyone talks about. He told me he thought that I could use a cable from an old exercise bike There are lots of styles out there. From what I see it looks like the inner cable has a smaller square shank on the trans end of the cable. IF anyone knows what brand and model I could use I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

Might also look at a universal speedometer cable kit. Had my cable break in a 70 Nova and got a universal kit from NAPA and made a new cable, give it a try!

I need a cable as well. I did some searching a couple of years ago to no avail. I also was told some antique exercise machine cable may work , but didn't look too hard.

I do know the cable is significantly smaller in diameter than automotive cables.

There is a speedo shop in Pontiac that specializes in older speedo restorations and speedo parts for older cars. The owner is older than I am and has been in the business about as long.(I'm second oldest on OldMiniBikes) He said he knew what the cable is, but it has not been available for a long time. He suggested the older exercise machines.

Let us know if you find something that works.

Would any off a old Bicycle speedo possible work too. I,m sure the inner cable would more than likely be smaller than one for a auto, Schwinn use to have them for there bikes in the 70's. I have seen them used at some of the minibikes shows, I have never picked one up.

I have an assorment of the VDO cables. SOME have like a .700" nut on both ends and some are .700" on one end and .375" on the trans end-assorted lengths as well. As far as the square being any different I really didn't notice that about them but let's start with the nut size and go from there-

well I do know that the speedo threaded area(for the cable nut I would assume) is larger than the threaded area (for the cable nut I would assume)on the transmission. The standard schwinn speedo cable fits the transmission portion but is to small for the head unit. The squared ends fit in the head unit but are to big for the transmission drive area. confusing:confused::confused1: with said I will see about getting some measurements tomorrow on the two pieces

ATKRIDER I have an assortment of the VDO cables. SOME have like a .700" nut on both ends and some are .700" on one end and .375" on the trans end-assorted lengths as well. As far as the square being any different I really didn't notice that about them but let's start with the nut size and go from there-
Well the two nuts are as you called it are .700 and .375 on the outer. The inner squared cable is .100 on one end "and since I only have a match stick that I have found to guage on the inside of the transmission end" the other end is .0835. Im not sure what the length would be. :shrug: Ill have to get that tomorrow. I'm guessing around 27 or 28" long.

Yep-.100 and actually .070 but what's a few thou amoungst friends. Bad part is shortest complete cable I have is 48". I guess pm me if you want to purchase one that length-

How are the ends of the speedo cables connected-silver solder:shrug: if so could a person heat the end up ,pull apart ,cut and resolder it to the correct length?Just an idea:grind:

How are the ends of the speedo cables connected-silver solder:shrug: if so could a person heat the end up ,pull apart ,cut and resolder it to the correct length?Just an idea:grind:
Actually I was looking at that and I believe you could just cut it on the larger end since I believe it as a square inner cable. The hard(er) part would be the outer housing ends are crimped onto the outer housing like a hex crimp but I know it could be done-we have the technology:grind::hammer::bowdown:

Last edited:
I m pretty sure that both the inner and outer could be modified with some thought behind it. I believe the end cover (on the outer case)could be split with a dremel and clamped back once it is shortened. If its anything like the one I have for my sons bicycle. The inner probably could be soldered as long as It didnt see alot of heat, which may take some of the temper out of the cable/spring.

well I ended up cutting the outer housing and removing the housing from the cable mounting piece. I measured the length needed and through some tricky drilling I was able to hollow out the cable mount. At that point I tackled the cable its self. I cut it a little long. I started removing cable from the metal machined piece that was crimped on one end. The cable has three layers of wire twisted in a spring type fashion. I took a center punch and used it to put a punched area in wire remaining in the piece. There again with some exact drilling I was able to remove the cable from the end. Once i had the length I needed, I just soldered it in. The cable works great and looks good too. Sorry I dont have a close up of the cable by itself.