vwfan79 Open Class Go Devil

vwfan79

The clutch was good when I first started out then it started slipping really bad to the point of smoking. I must say my motor has more power then your average modified clone and I don't think this clutch was designed for that. I have sent Danny downs a message but I know they are working on another clutch material for the higher hp motors. The issue is the heat that is produced, I think if there was a way to keep the clutch cool it would hold up to the motor better. I'm a little discouraged but confident the downs brother will work out the issue.

The clutch was good when I first started out then it started slipping really bad to the point of smoking. I must say my motor has more power then your average modified clone and I don't think this clutch was designed for that. I have sent Danny downs a message but I know they are working on another clutch material for the higher hp motors. The issue is the heat that is produced, I think if there was a way to keep the clutch cool it would hold up to the motor better. I'm a little discouraged but confident the downs brother will work out the issue.
:thumbsup:, yes working on it and i am certain this will be resolved in the very near future...

vwfan79

So I put an old 2 disc clutch I had lying around on the bike today so I could take it for a ride. This thing moves pretty good the road I was on is right next to a highway and the cars on the highway were not going that much faster than I was. I will tell you this it was flippen COLD going that fast today. Here is a video of the bike running in my driveway, please excuse the camera man as he is trying to make everyone dizzy. This thing is much louder in person too.
Go Devil mini bike - YouTube

oldfatguy

if you go with a lower gear ratio it should help your clutch problems. It looks like your gear on the sprocket side of the jackshaft is way too big. Check your ratio by counting how many time the clutch turns to get one full turn on the rear wheel.. you should be around 6 to 1 or 7 to1. I had the same problem with my Arco smoking the clutch until I lowered the ratio I'm running around 9 to 1 on My Arco but that may be a bit too much with the power of you motor. It does really sound good in the video.:thumbsup:

vwfan79

if you go with a lower gear ratio it should help your clutch problems. It looks like your gear on the sprocket side of the jackshaft is way too big. Check your ratio by counting how many time the clutch turns to get one full turn on the rear wheel.. you should be around 6 to 1 or 7 to1. I had the same problem with my Arco smoking the clutch until I lowered the ratio I'm running around 9 to 1 on My Arco but that may be a bit too much with the power of you motor. It does really sound good in the video.:thumbsup:
My gear ratio is a 4.5:1 and I set it like that for the long cruises we go on. The dbr clutch can handle the gear ratio but it's the torque and hp it wasn't meant to handle. I have talked to Danny Downs and they are working on a new clutch liner. The disc clutch that is on there now had no problems, didn't slip and kept right up like it should.

oldfatguy

The lower ratio just makes it easier for the bike to accelerate with less strain on the clutch.
But then you will lose some top end and with the horsepower that you have it might be hard to keep the front tire on the ground. I have an h60 on my bike with that real low ratio and it works out well for me.
but then I'm also a big fat guy that's too old to be going real fast on a mini bike. I hope that they can resolve the problem for you. What kind of speeds are you getting ? I would guess that it must be at least 45 mph or more. Very cool build I like it.

vwfan79

Thank you. I realize with the higher gear ratio I'm stressing the clutch and would gain a little take off and loss top speed if I lowered it. I am looking for top speeds on this bike and with the current clutch set at 3500 rpm stall it actually takes off good, at 6000 rpm I'm running around 60 mph.

oldfatguy

holy crap man, that's flying for a mini bike. I have an h60 with a torque converter on this stellar and it gets no where near that , maybe 35 to 40 + down a slight hill.

vwfan79

That's a nice bike. I have a little bit of an addiction to speed, going slow doesn't cut it for me, it's probably a little fast for a mini but that's what makes it fun.

vwfan79

Have been riding the bike a little but been having issues here and there. Had everything running good and was out test a clutch and the tank sprung a leak. So I mounted a tank on the motor to continues testing and riding and then the carb started acting up. Now it's just not running quit right so I'm going to pull the valve cover and check lash and all the usual suspects. I think I may switch the motor over to a Honda I have sitting here, they are much more reliable for the long haul.