Waco texas

I got my first Mini Bike in 1969 in Waco Texas from the Go Kart-Mini Bike factory they were being built at. I do not remeber it having any decals, markings, etc. It was a double loop, with both down tubes being paralel frame with a scrub brake, no fenders and powered by a 3 hp Clinton engine. I thought it was a Bonanza. Does anyone have any idea what it could have been

Thanks for the info and photos, but mine only had the two side loops making the frame and the front and rear tubes of the loops were laid forward at almost the same angle.

markus

K&P was in Waco they made the Hornet line of go karts and also made mini bikes there line of mini bikes may have had another name there still around Mercury Tool & Machine, Inc. Custom Manufacturing and Fabrication ken
K&P was a California company (made the "bug" and Flea bikes)

P&R Enterprises was the kart company in Waco, Dunno if they made a bike or not. Would not doubt they did if they were making karts in the late 60's and thier karts were called Hornets, so yea that confusing because K&S made the "hornet" line of minibikes in Forth worth right around the same time.

They did make a small "standard" style bike, far left:

View attachment 67655

I dont know much about the company, and if they used clinton's at all or not and if they were somehow connected with P&R

Last edited:
My name is Richard Peck and I would like to clear up the story of the Hornet Mini-Bikes; I am Richard Peck of Waco and I had P&R Enterprises in Waco and my dad (now deceased), Jack N Peck co-owned Mercury Tool and Machine.

The original Hornet Mini bike was produced in Mercury Tool in 1960-61 and there were very few made.
Mercury phased out the mini-bike and go kart division in the fall of 1961 and I moved out of Mercury Tool into a company called P & R Enterprises to focus on Hornet kart manufacturing and marketing.

In the late 60's I added mini-bikes to our line again and the first model was as the gentleman from Waco described, without a rear fender. In fact we called that economy version the MB-49. In the early 70's I was contacted by George King from K&S Enterprises, manufacturer of Lawn Edgers. George wanted to go into mini-bike production within three weeks and wanted me to put together a prototype and order the parts for his first run of mini-bikes. He was a large customer of Mercury Tool, as they already manufactured all of the steel components for K&S Lawn Edgers. The advantage to me would be that Mercury Tool would make all of the parts and Mercury Tool and P & R would share in the welding of the mini-bikes. In turn, unless they were privately labeled for companies, the would be called the Hornet Mini Bikes.

SUMMARY:
1. So all Hornet mini-bikes components parts from the early 1960 until the last bike produced were built at Mercury Tool and Machine in Waco.
2. Mercury Tool manufactured and marketed a very small quantity in 1960-61. As I recall, we used West Bend 510 and 580 2 cycle
engines.
3. P & R Enterprises Inc of Waco manufactured and marketed small quantities in the late 60's until K & S Manufacturing (Fort Worth)
started assembling and marketing mini-bikes. As P & R, we exclusively Techumseh 4 cycle engines.
4. Mercury Tool manufactured all of the tubular and metal stampings and Mercury Tool and P & R Shared in the welding of the mini-bikes
once K & S started marketing and assembling. The first production run, K&S used Briggs 4 cycle engines due to lead time from engine
manufacturer.
5. Let me know if you would like me to post a catalogue page showing our ad for the first P&R MB-49 mini-bike; the one like the gentleman
from Waco mentioned. By the way either myself or an employee Alex Chunn would have been the one to sell that particular bike to
the man in Waco.
I hope this helps clear the confusion.

I am Richard Peck, the Hornet guy from the former P & R Enterprises. That first model, the MB-49 did not even have a place for a decal. Later we introduced a fancier design with a formed front plate which stiffened the forks and improved steering and offered a good place for a decal.

I did sell a number of brands of mini-bikes other that what we produced, however none of them used Clinton engines and most used Briggs 4 cycles.

We sold a number of Chris Cycles back in the day and as I recall, had 3 different models all with 2 cycle engines up to 12 horsepower.

Recently I managed to pick up an old rusty MB-49 frame that was one of those earliest, simple economy models with scrub brake. I haven't started restoration yet.

During the late 69-70 season, we also produced a handful of three wheeler's and as well as a fiberglass bodied 2 seater mini-dune buggy which I offered from 12 hp to 55 hp. Independent front suspension, hydraulic disc brakes, and forward and reverse transmission. Do you recall seeing any of those at the time you purchased your mini-bike?

My name is Richard Peck and I would like to clear up the story of the Hornet Mini-Bikes;

Thank you Richard for contributing here. This place has many mini bike history enthusiasts and we all would love to see some pics, literature, or hear any mini bike stories you may have from that era.

Thanks!
Pat

LDB

Hello Richard. I remember you, P&R Enterprises, Mercury Tool, and most of your whole family back in those days. I was around you quite often from 1964 until 1970, age 8 until age 14. When I was 8, my father bought me a used Hornet Kart and anything needed was bought from you, i.e., tires, chains, etc., and one time a new carb that was better than the original carb that came on my West Bend 580. Many hours of fun. The shop at that time was that old WW2 Army Air Corp building that was used to untangle parachutes. Remember? And of course, I also remember when Mercury Tool caught fire and burned down. I remember at P&R, you had a paper weight on your desk that was made out of melted coins that had been in the Coke machine. Your dad went right across the street and built a new Mercury Tool that thrives until this day.

In Summer of 1968, my dad bought me a Chris Cycle mini-bike from you. I would post a picture of it if I can figure out how to do it. Loads of fun and several of my friends' dads also bought Chris Cycles from you. We rode around in a pack of sorts. My Chris Cycle was the one with a 50 cc engine and lower exhaust pipe and smaller wheels. It was painted metallic green. My other friends had the larger Chris Cycle with larger wheels/tires and the upswept exhaust pipe and red paint. One kid I knew had the larger one that was painted black and his dad also bought it from you.

Those Italian made Chris Cycles were superb little machines! As I look back, calling them a mini-bike was kind of a misnomer. They were actually mini-motorcycles. I think many a kid would enjoy one today. Mine had a 3 speed transmission and would really go. It had lights, front and back, chrome gas tank (neat looking triangular shape), chrome exhaust pipe and the housing around the engine was polished aluminum. It looked great and I bought many a tube of Happich Semi-Chrome Polishing Paste from you to keep it that way. The only problem I ever had was it had a propensity to clog the exhaust up with oily carbon, which may have been made worse by putting too much oil in the gas, and of course carbon build-up was the nature of 2 strokes in those days, probably still is assuming that the EPA hasn't located them all and commanded people to turn them into scrap. I never thought they were that bad of a polluter. Another example of going to the extreme in my opinion. I remember you telling us that a 2 stroke was a better deal than a 4 stroke, less moving parts to give trouble. he-he-

You forgot to mention that you were also a dealer for Bridgestone Motorcycles at about that same time, 1969. After I rode my Chris Cycle until June 1969, I had to have one of the new Bridgestones. All of my other friends were getting motorcycles and I had to have one. Plus your prices were very reasonable as compared to the other available Jap bikes at the time and the price for my Bridgestone 60 was only $250.00. Great little motorcycle. It had a unique rotary valve that turned on the crankshaft and the carb was inside the case. Also had a 4 speed rotary shift that never had to be downshifted several times after cruising in high gear and coming to a stop and then wanting to return to first gear. Actually it would shift either way. My little Bridgestone 60 would run off and leave a Honda 90. 'Irritated many a Honda 90 kid. LOL. I later put an expansion chamber on it that was made by a small shop on 25th street called S&S Manufacturing.

I also remember your Mini-Dune Buggy production quite well in 1969 when I was 13. When you were making the prototype, myself and a friend, who also had a Chris Cycle purchased from you, hung out in your shop several times and watched you build it. We thought it was extremely cool and figured that you could do most anything. :0) In fact, watching you paint it taught me a lot about spray painting at the time and how to rub out lacquer paint. A little later, after you were finished with the assembly, my friend and myself were most pleased as you allowed us to drive the Mini-Dune Buggy around the shop at P&R. In fact, we went back more than once and you let us drive it several times. 'Was really cool. I remember you rigged up a torque converter or automatic clutch and one could just give it the throttle and take off. That is I think I'm remembering correctly as it has only been nearly 50 years!

You also lived one block over from me at the time in Waco. I lived on North 43rd and you lived on North 42nd. My same friend and myself enjoyed visiting with you and watching you work on go kart engines on the weekends at your house. You taught us about porting and polishing. I learned plenty.

Well that's enough I guess. 'Glad to see you're still kicking. You never know who remembers what.

BTW, I can still remember the smell of that nitro-methane that you all burned in those Hornet Racing Karts. LOL! I was always amazed that those things ran like 130 MPH or better.

Larry Brumfield

Last edited:

LDB

I am Richard Peck, the Hornet guy from the former P & R Enterprises. That first model, the MB-49 did not even have a place for a decal. Later we introduced a fancier design with a formed front plate which stiffened the forks and improved steering and offered a good place for a decal.

I did sell a number of brands of mini-bikes other that what we produced, however none of them used Clinton engines and most used Briggs 4 cycles.

We sold a number of Chris Cycles back in the day and as I recall, had 3 different models all with 2 cycle engines up to 12 horsepower.

Recently I managed to pick up an old rusty MB-49 frame that was one of those earliest, simple economy models with scrub brake. I haven't started restoration yet.

During the late 69-70 season, we also produced a handful of three wheeler's and as well as a fiberglass bodied 2 seater mini-dune buggy which I offered from 12 hp to 55 hp. Independent front suspension, hydraulic disc brakes, and forward and reverse transmission. Do you recall seeing any of those at the time you purchased your mini-bike?

Hello Richard. I remember you, P&R Enterprises, Mercury Tool, and most of your whole family back in those days. I was around you quite often from 1964 until 1970, age 8 until age 14. When I was 8, my father bought me a used Hornet Kart and anything needed was bought from you, i.e., tires, chains, etc., and one time a new carb that was better than the original carb that came on my West Bend 580. Many hours of fun. The shop at that time was that old WW2 Army Air Corp building that was used to untangle parachutes. Remember? And of course, I also remember when Mercury Tool caught fire and burned down. I remember at P&R, you had a paper weight on your desk that was made out of melted coins that had been in the Coke machine. Your dad went right across the street and built a new Mercury Tool that thrives until this day.

In Summer of 1968, my dad bought me a Chris Cycle mini-bike from you. I would post a picture of it if I can figure out how to do it. Loads of fun and several of my friends' dads also bought Chris Cycles from you. We rode around in a pack of sorts. My Chris Cycle was the one with a 50 cc engine and lower exhaust pipe and smaller wheels. It was painted metallic green. My other friends had the larger Chris Cycle with larger wheels/tires and the upswept exhaust pipe and red paint. One kid I knew had the larger one that was painted black and his dad also bought it from you.

Those Italian made Chris Cycles were superb little machines! As I look back, calling them a mini-bike was kind of a misnomer. They were actually mini-motorcycles. I think many a kid would enjoy one today. Mine had a 3 speed transmission and would really go. It had lights, front and back, chrome gas tank (neat looking triangular shape), chrome exhaust pipe and the housing around the engine was polished aluminum. It looked great and I bought many a tube of Happich Semi-Chrome Polishing Paste from you to keep it that way. The only problem I ever had was it had a propensity to clog the exhaust up with oily carbon, which may have been made worse by putting too much oil in the gas, and of course carbon build-up was the nature of 2 strokes in those days, probably still is assuming that the EPA hasn't located them all and commanded people to turn them into scrap. I never thought they were that bad of a polluter. Another example of going to the extreme in my opinion. I remember you telling us that a 2 stroke was a better deal than a 4 stroke, less moving parts to give trouble. he-he-

You forgot to mention that you were also a dealer for Bridgestone Motorcycles at about that same time, 1969. After I rode my Chris Cycle until June 1969, I had to have one of the new Bridgestones. All of my other friends were getting motorcycles and I had to have one. Plus your prices were very reasonable as compared to the other available Jap bikes at the time and the price for my Bridgestone 60 was only $250.00. Great little motorcycle. It had a unique rotary valve that turned on the crankshaft and the carb was inside the case. Also had a 4 speed rotary shift that never had to be downshifted several times after cruising in high gear and coming to a stop and then wanting to return to first gear. Actually it would shift either way. My little Bridgestone 60 would run off and leave a Honda 90. 'Irritated many a Honda 90 kid. LOL. I later put an expansion chamber on it that was made by a small shop on 25th street called S&S Manufacturing.

I also remember your Mini-Dune Buggy production quite well in 1969 when I was 13. When you were making the prototype, myself and a friend, who also had a Chris Cycle purchased from you, hung out in your shop several times and watched you build it. We thought it was extremely cool and figured that you could do most anything. :0) In fact, watching you paint it taught me a lot about spray painting at the time and how to rub out lacquer paint. A little later, after you were finished with the assembly, my friend and myself were most pleased as you allowed us to drive the Mini-Dune Buggy around the shop at P&R. In fact, we went back more than once and you let us drive it several times. 'Was really cool. I remember you rigged up a torque converter or automatic clutch and one could just give it the throttle and take off. That is I think I'm remembering correctly as it has only been nearly 50 years!

You also lived one block over from me at the time in Waco. I lived on North 43rd and you lived on North 42nd. My same friend and myself enjoyed visiting with you and watching you work on go kart engines on the weekends at your house. You taught us about porting and polishing. I learned plenty.

Well that's enough I guess. 'Glad to see you're still kicking. You never know who remembers what.

BTW, I can still remember the smell of that nitro-methane that you all burned in those Hornet Racing Karts. LOL! I was always amazed that those things ran like 130 MPH or better.

Larry Brumfield

Last edited: