What are you working on Today..

heres another little progect i have in mind. just need to scrounge up an adequate piece of aluminum and get my butt in gear. its a Voison hood ornament. I just think theyre pretty cool looking and easy enough to build. Would make a nice shelf ornament

Ah, my teardown project for the day is a fairly neglected '81 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim. 16k on the clock, needed valvetrain work, bike was left out without the valve cover on & the cams have surface rust. Needs shims & a bit of scotchbrite to the cam lobes.

And the carbs cleaned, adjusted & balanced... and the carb boots repaired (cracked rubbers)... and the clutch plates unstuck (from sitting).

Hey, a $100 bill landed a bike with a clean title & 16k on the clock. :shrug:

Ah, my teardown project for the day is a fairly neglected '81 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim. 16k on the clock, needed valvetrain work, bike was left out without the valve cover on & the cams have surface rust. Needs shims & a bit of scotchbrite to the cam lobes.

And the carbs cleaned, adjusted & balanced... and the carb boots repaired (cracked rubbers)... and the clutch plates unstuck (from sitting).

Hey, a $100 bill landed a bike with a clean title & 16k on the clock. :shrug:
nice cant go wrong there :thumbsup:

Wife texts me at work today, "where are the jumper cables?".. Oh crap, probably the daughters car again. Get home and she is on the phone with the daughter and my wife's car , with my son in law driving, is not enough to get it started. Jump in my Superduty, drive 10 miles, hook the truck up to the car, and it just cranks. Not one cough. Grrr. Tell them to get in the wife's car and go home. Tomorrow I have to hook the trailer to the truck and tow that POS home. This is the same POS that I have already rebuilt the engine, transmission and front end on, and already towed home 3 times. Probably 20 electrical problems since she bought it. Grrr. Oh, its a 2001 VW Jetta VR6 POS...

Anyway, as they were about to leave, I see that one of the headlights is out on the wife's car. I had put new Silverstars in there less than 6 months ago. Grrr. Stopped at Oreilly's on the way home and got another one for $25. Ouch.

At least after I got home, I sandblasted a bunch of parts. Some progress.

Last edited:
sucks man if it aint one thing its another. we have 2 1.8t engines in an a4 and a gti and they have theyre problems too but better than the vr6 for sure

I went to the eye doctor today for a little tune-up.
I went to Walgreens and got generic 1.5 reading glasses.... $3. Bet your copay was more than that... :laugh:

And F that Jetta. She bought it with my wife without me looking it over first. I would have told her then "NO". make the HELL NO. I have spent more keeping it running than what they paid for it....

My project for today will be finishing the battery box on our mule to fit the oversized deep/crank battery I got for it then putting the starter back together.
May be selling/trading the motorhome today which could slow the project progress.

Sundays project will be positioning/drilling/bolting the 11HP greyhound motor into my SS16 tractor.

buckeye

Welcome to the up early croud.
Everyday. Slept in this morning. 6 woo woo.

I am going to do what my wife tells me I need to do today.:thumbsup:

incogrhino

Cleaned the roof. Chiseled the ice dams. Now working on getting the rusted in bolt out of the head stock on my spyder. Sneaky hunch this thang spent sometime sitting out. Pita.:hammer:

Here is the said POS. Just got it home. Thinking the ignition module went out. Only $200...:doah:

And when backing it in, I went a bit too far back and bent the fence... It just gets better...

Last edited:
Today I went out and ordered parts from local kawasaki dealer
Last week I picked up a 92 ke 100 for $75 , its all there and in good shape but needed a kickstart I have a couple of older parts engines but of course so no big deal lol
Then I checked the top end ...
Ok so now it needs piston , rings and a honeing ...
But of course the newer bikes have the aluminum cyl with chrome plating
So my cheap rebuild is now not so cheap $375 later my parts are ordered for a bike I didnt want or need to begin with lol

So when I came home I started working on my build off bike , dont want to wear the clown nose and wig without a fight lol

Just finished shoveling my roof, I've been here 20 years and this is the first time I've had to do this, excessive ice buildup is the cause, dropped a couple buckets of ice melt pellets down, hoping this does the trick...............Tom.

IJG

Stripped down my Doodlebug DB30S

Neighbor & I got to stripping the frame down today,
I seen a white doodlebug with orange rims,
so The white frame & forks it is, as for rim color i'm unsure just yet.
May do green. or bronze. With some white in it.
But Right now i need an front axle,bearings I had to cut the front axle off today with a small hacksaw, rusted the bearing to it & couldn't slide it out of the forks. But i'll post more pics of some work another day.

Last edited:
My project for today will be finishing the battery box on our mule to fit the oversized deep/crank battery I got for it then putting the starter back together.DONE
May be selling/trading the motorhome today which could slow the project progress.NO SHOWING CL LOONY

Sundays project will be positioning/drilling/bolting the 11HP greyhound motor into my SS16 tractor.
On to other things for once :laugh:

my old boss called this morning and came up to replace the door handle on his truck and patch the muffler. and thats about all i did. then watched the neighbor screwing around in his yard and smack his truck into a tree :laugh: was a good show but he wasnt too happy about it