what effect would using a smaller tire in the front in a larger tyre in the back have

I am building a mini bike for my wife it will be a manco thunderbird with a honda gx 160 5.5 horsepower engine on it . my question is this -I want to put a taller tire on the back in a slightly shorter tire on the front because I have this nice set of aluminum mag wheels that came off of a pocket rocket I believe and I think it would look really cool but I want to make sure that it will be safe in that it will not affect the handeling in a dangerous way any advice would be appreciated thank you .the picture I posted is the frame in the tires and wheels that I'm thinking about using . both tires and rims have di
sc brakes already installed on them. the rear tire measures 13.5 inches from ground to top in the front tire measures right around 12.5 inches from bottom to top .thank you

Taller is fine but tread size or type can create bias, size more so than type but it depends on the tire really. Ain't but one way to know for sure. You ride before her if you love her, otherwise turn her loose.:laugh:

Like to give you a heads up about the motor mounting plate. It likes to flex with the higher hp motors and tends to cause the chain to tighten and loosen. I have a Thunderbird that did that so I welded gussets at the front to lessen the flex. Have had no further problems with the chain.

Last edited:
excellent advice, thank you both. i was concerned with the small narrow mounting plate style that they have on the thunderbird so I went ahead and ordered the hot rod mini bike adjustable mounting plate and I'm going to put that on there to try and reinforce it a little bit . I will definitely rideit before I let her get on it and then take out a hug:wink:e insurance policy just to be safe . just kidding. thanks

smaller tire

This is an East Coast thing guys
High in the rear
Now all you need is lights under your fenders,and an 8 track

FRANK

I am building a mini bike for my wife it will be a manco thunderbird with a honda gx 160 5.5 horsepower engine on it . my question is this -I want to put a taller tire on the back in a slightly shorter tire on the front because I have this nice set of aluminum mag wheels that came off of a pocket rocket I believe and I think it would look really cool but I want to make sure that it will be safe in that it will not affect the handeling in a dangerous way any advice would be appreciated thank you .the picture I posted is the frame in the tires and wheels that I'm thinking about using . both tires and rims have di
sc brakes already installed on them. the rear tire measures 13.5 inches from ground to top in the front tire measures right around 12.5 inches from bottom to top .thank you