what makes a bike street legal? california

just curious exactly what it takes to make a bike street legal in california. obviously there are a lot of parts you can put on that make it not street legal, but im talking about like cc's, tire size, year, 2-stroke/4-stroke kind of stuff. also, i know there are a lot of bikes that are legal to ride in the bike lane without a license or registration, wondering if anybody knows anything about that.
thanks!

Neck

Growing up is optional
Do yourself a favor, if you want a bike to ride legally on the street, buy one that already has a pink slip and registration for the street. The money you would spend to make your minibike "possibly" street legal, would be more than the cost of your bike, and that does not include all the hoops DMV would make you jump through! This has been discussed here before.

Do yourself a favor, if you want a bike to ride legally on the street, buy one that already has a pink slip and registration for the street. The money you would spend to make your minibike "possibly" street legal, would be more than the cost of your bike, and that does not include all the hoops DMV would make you jump through! This has been discussed here before.
well i already have the bike and im mostly just curious for personal knowledge

Mac

Your local CHP should have a list of items needed to make a bike street legal.
I picked up a list years ago when I considered making my Kawasaki 300 Bayou quad legal.