What mini bike do you loan when family/friend visits and wants to ride?

Lizardking

Just wondering what other people have to loan when asked if they can ride one. @Minimichael asked about a good rider to loan to guests and is what prompted my question.

I've read of a fellow member loaning a nice bike with the belief that the person is an experienced rider only to have his bike layed out and damaged.....

Well here's what I loan to guests that can ride.. A 2016 Coleman ct200u.
20230306_015050.jpg

Triley41395

Just wondering what other people have to loan when asked if they can ride one. @Minimichael asked about a good rider to loan to guests and is what prompted my question.

I've read of a fellow member loaning a nice bike with the belief that the person is an experienced rider only to have his bike layed out and damaged.....

Well here's what I loan to guests that can ride.. A 2016 Coleman ct200u.
View attachment 299495
BYOB...Bring your own bike.

Seriously, that is what I let guests ride, CT200. If I know they are coming out I tell them to bring a helmet or they have to use one of my community helmets. No one gets to ride 4 inch wheel bikes.

I actually have an ex-nun living a few houses down….worse than crack heads….anyway she’s always stopping by wanting me gift one to her…as she has no money….and has begged me to ride one…I refuse HER every time…

Minimichael

I suppose a hardtail Coleman ought to suffice, but I am impressed with the styling of the Massimo Warrior and Trailmaster bikes. However Amazon says the Warrior wheelbase is 36", while the full-suspension Trail master MB200 says it's got a huge wheelbase at 45". Not sure how accurate these stats are on Amazon and Walmart sites. Also not sure how fat the tires need to be for suburban street riding. And I agree the tiny wheeled wobbler is no bike for the uninitiated.

And im truly not trying to be a dick this time….

but why not let them ride whatever you have and they want? They are a hobby… expensive as they maybe, they are made to be ridden and for having fun….and if it breaks you have something to do without buying another…just curious….

Personally that’s why I do this….

Minimichael

For sure, Skipp. But like your hodaka, my Arctic cat is my favorite. The rest of em are crap, at the moment. The fox frame is currently held together with paste and rubber bands, the bonanza is stiff as a carnival ride, etc. Plus I don't want to have to stop everything to adjust the Cat's shocks so our bigger guest can sit down without squishing the muffler.

Side note, and besides all this talk about buying new, I'm also in the process of resto-modding a second Arctic Cat. So there's that. I hope it'll make group rides that much more enjoyable - same size bike, same gearing and top speeds, etc. Maybe even matching ape hangers. (Awwww.) But now I'm just getting sappy about those nice summer nights just around the corner...;)

Last edited:
And im truly not trying to be a dick this time….

but why not let them ride whatever you have and they want? They are a hobby… expensive as they maybe, they are made to be ridden and for having fun….and if it breaks you have something to do without buying another…just curious….

Personally that’s why I do this….
Starting out your post with a disclaimer cracked me up. I haven’t had this problem yet and right now only my gt80 is rideable. When I get my Rupp Continental finished I’m sure I’d let someone ride it unless I have zero confidence in their ability because of my concern for their safety not the bike. I’m quite certain I could fix the bike.

Minimichael

Had the handlebars slip forward in their riser clamps once, just as my wife's best friend left the driveway with it. Now I'm all about the beefier, billet clamps. And bars with knurling in the right places!

And sure I get the tough talk, but if anyone ever wiped out they'd likely never want to ride again. Or when it breaks down because of something I've half-assed, ... always a buzz kill :scooter:

Last edited:

Lizardking

Anyone they want but my hodaka…it’s mine

that’s what they are there for…

I just put a 12 year old on my fastest one…he showed me how to ride that thing!

I guess I should add an addendum: you have to be invited and known…No strangers….
I'm not where you are at in this thing we call a hobby, yet.... I'm still in collecting mode and only been at this a couple of years!...

You have soo many bikes that you probably forget what's buried behind all those ghosts in you garage!

I'm certain that if I had bikes that are easy to come by (like my Coleman) then I would have more to loan!!

Lizardking

BYOB...Bring your own bike.

Seriously, that is what I let guests ride, CT200. If I know they are coming out I tell them to bring a helmet or they have to use one of my community helmets. No one gets to ride 4 inch wheel bikes.
Now that you mention 4" wheels I realize I don't own any mini bikes with rims under 6", yet ! ...

Lizardking

For adults I let them ride my 2nd Hilltopper. It's built like a tank so they can't break it if they crash. For kids I will ride them around.
I haven't seen a Hilltopper for sale out here but see the Boonie bike often. Broncs pop up every now and then too. That Hilltopper sure looks beefy though..