What's the best way to shorten a cable covering ??

Hello all. I have a brake cable that has a plastic coated metal cover over the cable. I need to shorten the covering by about an inch. Its a Rupp cable, and already has the ends assembled so I can't just pull the cable out. Any suggestions ? Thank you. :hammer::shrug:

You have to pull the cable out and cut it with a cut-off wheel. Don't bother using wire cutters because it pinches the casing and you can't get the cable in. I know from experance:laugh:

i just use a good pair of wire cutters and be real carefull. the casing cuts easy its the last bit of winded outer that you need to be carefull. but by then youll clearly see the inner cable so its not so bad

Do little bits at a time with the Dremmel and allow the cable to cool cause it will get hot and melt the casing and cause it to bubble up...if thats a problem. Ive also reattached the metal end by warming up the casing with a lighter and slipping it over the newly sized end....doesnt always work! :thumbsup:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Hello, Cut the plastic covering where you need it to be and remove the plastic.

The chrome cap furl will need to be pulled away from the housing.

Secure the housing and unwind the cable housing, from the cable.

Carefully cut the unwound part of the housing.

Now slide back the chrome furl and reinstall on the end.

IF, you can't seem to reinstall the furl ? cut back the plastic a bit more.

Use a dab of silicone and put the chrome furl back on..

Ta Da, :smile: Your done..

Last edited:

buckeye

I also gently clamp two vice grips on the cable about a 1/4" apart.
Then use a hacksaw to cut the outer casing.
Once I am through, I then use a sharp chisel to cut the cable to length. For those without a dremmel.:thumbsup:

There are wire cutters, then there are wire cutters. A dremel with a cutoff wheel is best but I use lineman's pliers- Remove the cable, snip. Easy as pie. Doesn't crimp it. Diagonal cutters will crimp it.

Using my handy cigarette lighter, I put a flame to the chrome ferule for about 2 seconds, and pull it off with the pliers. To reinstall it, I set it on the new cable end, heat it for a second and quickly shove it on with the pliers.

Nobody reading the OP , The cable has a butt on both ends.

He can not just remove the cable.
Oops. Guilty.

If it's a BRAKE cable, for one inch, I'd suck it up.

If you can't, get one of the wire stops and machine it to fit. They look ugly, but they do the job.

On throttle cables, I have a couple different sizes of brass tube that I solder on the ends.

You can solder on a cable end, but it's a pain in the ass, and about half the time results in a cold solder joint.

This video is controversial. I do it a simpler way, and I don't freak on having perfect brakes.

HOW TO SOLDER Throttle & Brake Cables - YouTube

MB165

good idea with the lighter dave....I never could get them off....he could then use a dremel cut off disk and gently cut the housing away to the desired length then slide the end back on....

I have been able to get those chrome ends and the crimp on cable ends at bicycle shops.