Which Bonanza Model is it?

Midyrman

I've looked at some of the threads where our resident Bonanza gurus have shared some of their brochures etc on the various Bonanza models. That has been very helpful. Thank you.

I've seen a Bonanza with the following equipment, which doesn't seem to match up with any of those models however.

-inner spring front shocks
- chrome adjustable handlebars
- rear tube shocks
- tall Jack shaft mounts!!

The owner claims the original engine to be a 5hp Tecumseh and equipped with a torque converter. The seat looks to be a replacement in the BC1300 style. No top mounted fiberglass gas tank.

It doesn't seem that any of the models with a torque converter (tall Jack shaft) also have the larger tube front shocks and coils in the rear.

Any ideas as to the model?

Thanks.

Tom

Midyrman

In my opinion that bike is a pieced together custom or bonanza was WAY ahead of their time....T/C drives weren't even being introduced to the mini bike scene until 1969, that frame shows more like a '66sh with cut off handlebars.

Bonanza Mini Bike RARE Early Model Tourqe Converter Model | eBay
I did ask the seller a couple of questions during the auction including the model. No response. I am no expert by any stretch and this one had me puzzled given what appears to be a mix and match set of components.

Thanks for everyone's help.

george3

Kind of hard to tell in the pics of the frame but the shock look lower than the later frame so the front pegs might be oem to that frame not an altered 69 Or later 1300 or 1400 frame. The forks look cut off to ad the bars. The tall jack shaft mount I can bet is add on. Home made MUTT? I think so.

Yes the build in handlebars were cut off. You can tell because the gap on the front plate is at the top. On the handle bars models bc1400/1500 the fork plate is turned upside down with the gap at the bottom.

markus

the tall plates were available briefly recently...I thought Mark had done some and OldMiniBikes was handling them but didn't see them on the site. Was kinda bummed about that, If I was going to work on that MX I just got I would prefer a T/C on it!!!

markus

H50 was used on the 1400, Thing to remember about the HS50 is it was not introduced until the 1972 model year, and even at that point they werent being used much at all, HS50's can pretty much be ruled out of being actual "correct" engines for most vintage mini bikes for that reason.

HS engines (both 40 and 50) are a smaller engine than the H50

H50 was used on the 1400, Thing to remember about the HS50 is it was not introduced until the 1972 model year, and even at that point they werent being used much at all, HS50's can pretty much be ruled out of being actual "correct" engines for most vintage mini bikes for that reason.

HS engines (both 40 and 50) are a smaller engine than the H50
That's interesting information. Thanks. So when, if you know, were the first HS engines at all? And was it just the HS40? I never seen any thing other than the HS40/50 in the old parts books I have so I assume those are the only two.

markus

That's interesting information. Thanks. So when, if you know, were the first HS engines at all? And was it just the HS40? I never seen any thing other than the HS40/50 in the old parts books I have so I assume those are the only two.
Best I can tell they were showing up in the 1968 model year time frame. The reason for the "S" in the model number is because at that time Tecumseh was already selling an H40 and an H50 in the "medium" sized block configuration, so the model number needed to be somehow different. The "medium" size H40 was dropped later on and they did in fact start calling the the "small frame" 4hp an H40 in the late 90's when they revamped them (they were literally just a rebadged H35)