which way to mount a clutch

i just bought a new clutch and i am not sure which way to mount it i had a clutch on and engine before with the sprocket facing out but i have also seem a lot of clutches facing in and i am just wondering which way it should be done

almost all the time on a minibike, the clutch is put on with the sprocket towards the engine, and Go-karts are the oppisite, but it all depends on how the chain lines up, most likely you should put it on sprocket inward

den35

If you have the chioce(depending on how the engine is mounted),I'd put the sprocket to the outside.Just makes it easier to oil the clutch bushing when needed.

What I have been told is that the clutch sprocket should be to the inside (when possible). It helps to keep you from wearing out the bearings on the shaft. If it is turned to the outside, it puts more pressure on the bearings when it is under torque. But like the other guys said it mostly depends on how your front and rear sprockets line up. I had to keep mine to the inside to keep mine lined up... or I would of had to offset my engine to the point that it would have messed up the balance of the bike.

Kenny1

To the inside is what you sould do whenever possible. Xdom is right, it puts less stress on the bearings. Plus it hides the chain between the engine and clutch. This makes it a bit less likely to try and grab a pant leg or finger or something god forbid you should somehow get in the way:doah:

Use a straight piece of metal along the outside of the rear sprocket, running up to the crank with the engine mounted. That will tell you where the clutch sprocket should be.

Yeah, the bike is going to tell you which way it has to be. Some bikes have more slots to mount the engine but it still should be pretty clear on how it's "got to be".