Why Remove the Governor?

I know this sounds like the most IDIOTIC noob question ever asked, but seriously what is the advantage of removing the governor? :confused: I get that it holds back the lever for accelerating, but is that it? So when you remove the governor you are entitled to a few more RPM's than recommended my the manufacturers?

Even so, when you do remove it, are there any disadvantages to doing so? Like is it dangerous or something? .. sorry for the rookie question, but I require some enlightenment. :shrug:
Thanks

Far more of these little engines were placed on power equipment than on minibikes, and they are designed for power equipment use. The throttle on those machines is usually set in one position and left there. A governor and a rev limiter are really two different things. Sure, the governor might help keep the motor from over-reving, but the other- and I think the more significant -point of the thing is to help maintain constant engine speed as load changes. That way, you can leave the throttle on your lawnmower, tiller or edger set to one position, but the engine speed will change automatically as the load increases or decreases (moving from tall to short grass, for example). The governor automatically causes the engine speed to slow down as load lightens, which would otherwise make it speed up. Set up properly, a governor will do all of this without causing surging. A rev limiter that cuts the spark at a pre-determined rpm would make the engine surge if the throttle was left in one position.

Far more of these little engines were placed on power equipment than on minibikes, and they are designed for power equipment use. The throttle on those machines is usually set in one position and left there. A governor and a rev limiter are really two different things. Sure, the governor might help keep the motor from over-reving, but the other- and I think the more significant -point of the thing is to help maintain constant engine speed as load changes. That way, you can leave the throttle on your lawnmower, tiller or edger set to one position, but the engine speed will change automatically as the load increases or decreases (moving from tall to short grass, for example). The governor automatically causes the engine speed to slow down as load lightens, which would otherwise make it speed up. Set up properly, a governor will do all of this without causing surging. A rev limiter that cuts the spark at a pre-determined rpm would make the engine surge if the throttle was left in one position.
good point tom

Not a good subject to comment on really, I authored a similar thread with a fix that allows you to not need to remove it. It's now considered tampering with the governor which I respect and understand, I dont have to agree with the decision but can and will respect the site. Read the sticky in the Honda/clone sub forum concerning governor removal, we cant speak of it anymore. That said read the sticky's and move on to save yourself from the grief!:thumbsup:

Last edited: