Will engine start without governor hooked up?

I have been trying to get my 4hp rupp project started...It will start up but only runs about 2 or 3 seconds and quits..It will sometimes start every time you pull the cord but won't stay running..The govenor linkage is missing and i don't have a throttle cable so I can't try holding the throttle open to see if it would stay going...I am wondering if its as simple as the linkages not being hooked up or if I have a more serious carb problem?..I guess what I am asking is do you have to hold the throttle open on these things to get them running?

Ohhhhhhhhh damn... :mellow: Not one of those ones... :doah:

You could try cranking the idle speed way up via the idle adjuster... Just make sure that you're kill switch is right there and working....

But you might get it to wind out high and stay running at a higher speed.. Allowing you to turn it back down later to adjust the rest...

ALSO some times they will flood like a bitch and d that... ACTS like it's not getting fuel, but it's actually so rich it's dieseling.... SOME TIMES the idle fuel screw needs to be turned out like 1/17 of a turn... then you only get 1/300'th of a turn worth of adjustment... :hammer:

Ya I kept pulling the spark plug out to see if it was wet or not..I also tried turning in the idle screw which didn't help but I could tell it was revving a little higher when it did run....Now as for the mixture screws I am not sure which one is which..There is one on the left side of the carb and one in the bottom..Which one does what?

jrzmac

when I was kid, the throttle on my Fox Thunderbolt went. and there was no internet, no minibike shops around so I had to do what i had to. I actually tied a shoestring to the throttle plate and kinda ran it up the frame, then up the right handlbar. then tie it off where the throttle would be. I used my thumb as a throttle. It took some time to get used to, but it worked eventually. You could try it, just until you get your parts. maybe you could use a small paper clip on the throttle plate, then wrap the string around the clip? as far as the adjusting screws, screw the one on the bottom all the way in. then turn it out 1.5 times. the one on the side do the same thing but turn it out only maybe one turn. when you pull the rope, you should be giving it gas at the same time...it's gonna be hard without a throttle, so try the string, it can't hurt. you might actually get it running. when you do, you have to play with the screws on the carb. start with the one on the left and if it starts, let it warm up for a minute or so....then keep turning it out until it's just about ready to stall....then turn it back in a tiny bit.. do the same with the bottom screw. turn it in, then turn it back out when it just about stalls out. good luck!

jrzmac

buckeye, when i was a kid, we had a house in south jersey down the shore. it was in the pine barrens. nothing but woods. there was nothing around. no internet. NOTHING. it was funny, people would go to start the lawn mower to cut the grass.......they could never do it, HALF THE MOWER WAS ON MY MINI BIKE! I did what I had to do to keep that thing running!!!!!

I had to do what i had to. I actually tied a shoestring to the throttle plate and kinda ran it up the frame, then up the right handlbar. then tie it off where the throttle would be. I used my thumb as a throttle.
A bike I bought a few weeks ago came with that specialty throttle! They had a piece of yarn tied to a rubberband, that then tied to a throttle cable and led up to a brake handle on the left handlebar.:surrender: That was their way of "making the 3.5HP go 45MPH". :laugh:

A bike I bought a few weeks ago came with that specialty throttle! They had a piece of yarn tied to a rubberband, that then tied to a throttle cable and led up to a brake handle on the left handlebar.:surrender: That was their way of "making the 3.5HP go 45MPH". :laugh:

Makes my cheater spring look primative! High tech stuff!:laugh:

Ya I will definetely be careful..I don't have a drive belt for it yet so it's not going anywhere even if I do get it going..I need to get the governor arm connected so I can get the throttle cable hooked up..The factory kill switch is still on the handle bar but I have no idea if it works..I haven't had it running for long enough to try and shut it off..lol

you know by the title of this thread, I don't even know what I'm doing over here :anon.sml: i'm out.....
Not sure what you mean by this?:shrug:...Might seem like a dumb question but I have heard some say the throttle is held open and then is shut by the governor when the engine starts..I am just wondering if that is what is causing it to be such a pain to start?..I realize the engine will technically "run" without the governor.:smile: