Will somebody please educate on this old briggs i just picked up

I bought this complete and running briggs for 20. I only bought it for the tank and clutch but not i see that i cant really use the tank.

I was hoping one of you pros would educate me on how this intake and carb system works. Im sure i could and will figure it out when i take it apart but id like to get the info from somebody who has been down this road first.

So intake is mounted above the tank and i don't see a fuel line only a line from what looks to be the valve cover to the carb. I'm guessing that the hose from the valve cover ( i think that is what it is) is like a pulse/vacuum line to draw fuel into the carb. there is no bowl or anything on the carb. it looks like a 2 stroke carb pretty much.

i only ran it for about 30 seconds and it actually runs decently..... the problem is that the oil is snow white and smells like pure fuel. Im assuming somebody ran this sucker half-way choked for a while to get that much gas in the case.

I hope to drain it, flush it a few times and hopefully avoid any bearing problems.

Also im not to familiar with clutches yet... unless they are new. this doesn't look mounted correctly. can i take it apart and clean/rebuild it or should i just discard it?

Here are some pics. please let me know what you think.

also is this a 2.35 and what some things i can do as far as preventive maintenance and tuning?

Can i but an aftermarket intake and carb setup or am i stuck with this one?
Is the governor purely part of the carb system.

any info would help

JamnJM

I have this Briggs 1" Tilly carb set for sale @ $100 shipped for everything (only thing Tilly plastic fuel inlet nib is broken off but IMO you can find them on here or old lawn mower repair shop) Intake, carb, deluxe rebuild kit, top of the line Tilly Carb throttle linkage:

Other views of the carb:

Or this NEW 3/4" Tilly carb, intake and velocity stack shipped for $75

if it ran theres no reason to mess with it. they are a good carburator setup when theyre running and kept running. Not much to go wrong on them. not sure where you got the 2.35 from? Its gonna be around 3hp there are numbers on the side of the shroud and possibly a number on the corner of the head to tell the cubic inches and that will tell the hp. Flush the oil. maby even pull off the side cover to wipe out the sludge on the bottom and run it. Doesnt take much to keep these engines going. Probrobly got left out in the rain with no air filter on or something. That breather tube is just a pcv ststem to vent the crankcase gasses to get burned off. Has nothing to do with keeping the gas flowing.
Clutch looks fine from here. You can pull it off and flip it around to mound the sprocket inboard if you need to

not really a newb dude. I'm just smart and, although i know, once i dissemble ill be able to figure it out. So the credit goes to the author of the tutorial who did a great job. Im pretty impressed with the carb system ind it actually makes me want to restore it back to bone stock. they even sell rebuild kits at stores around me so it appears to be a pretty common setup. This engine is was born in 78... i was born in 87.
so what if i dont know an engine that was being mass produced before my parents ever met.
Anyway. rebuilding the carb and giving it a "stock" new pant job.

If any one has a engine sticker let me know.

thx