Windber Mini Bike Reunion 2017

If you go, be sure to get directions from Johnstown to the site. If you're planning on hauling a camper, you need to access through the "back way in." Google Maps, Mapquest and Apple Maps will route you through the mountains....full of switch backs.
Thanks for the heads up on the switchbacks..... Fun in a corner carver but not in a truck pulling a trailer...

My Garmin GPS brings me home through the neighborhood behind my house and has me drive through the neighbors yard into my backyard to get home...... It will not bring me down my street into my driveway.

Just crazy...

Doug

I've never attended a mini bike specific event before and from the sounds of it, it's a "Do not miss this" type of event.

Sucks that some shenanigans broke out last year, someone always has to bring it up one notch. Not to be rude, what happened?

I'd really like to attend this and meet some OldMiniBikes members in person, and probably come home with some parts or another mini bike lol.

What goes on at Windber?

I've never attended a mini bike specific event before and from the sounds of it, it's a "Do not miss this" type of event.

Sucks that some shenanigans broke out last year, someone always has to bring it up one notch. Not to be rude, what happened?

I'd really like to attend this and meet some OldMiniBikes members in person, and probably come home with some parts or another mini bike lol.

What goes on at Windber?
Windber is a large gathering of mini bike enthusiasts. As you've seen, folks come from all over. Most of us talk bikes, share stories, laugh and zoom around the field, track or the trails. Wednesday PM to Saturday morning you've got good people who are respectful of the property and the Milhakos. Two years ago, some kids were pretty obnoxious on their minis/Warriors and ignored the rules. It was so rainy and muddy that the kids tore up a good part of the access road and the lower field area. So, some rules got changed. By and large, parents policed their kids pretty well last year. Most adults behaved though a couple individuals were banned.

My observation is this....Saturday morning is when the "rowdiness" begins. People arrive to participate in the parade, pay their registration fee (maybe), and ignore the rules. That's when the stupid stuff starts. The Milhakos banned riding after the parade for a couple hours because of an accident on the ride back. Some folks ignored rules of the road and one paid a price for it.

As to crossing the border with bikes in tow, Big Rob is probably one to talk to. I can tell you that you'll need your passport and IDs. One of my friends here is permanent US resident Canadian, went on vacation with his significant other and didn't have his green card. Almost had a major issue with the Border Patrol.

So many of us are late 40s through our 60s. We know how to act properly. It's the day trippers that ruin the experience, in my opinion.

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
As far as azusa, not sure, may be ok since they are kids. Would have to check the rules to be sure. No age limit as long as they are reasonably supervised and not allowed to go nuts. Should be old enough to follow simple rules.

Windber is a large gathering of mini bike enthusiasts. As you've seen, folks come from all over. Most of us talk bikes, share stories, laugh and zoom around the field, track or the trails. Wednesday PM to Saturday morning you've got good people who are respectful of the property and the Milhakos. Two years ago, some kids were pretty obnoxious on their minis/Warriors and ignored the rules. It was so rainy and muddy that the kids tore up a good part of the access road and the lower field area. So, some rules got changed. By and large, parents policed their kids pretty well last year. Most adults behaved though a couple individuals were banned.

My observation is this....Saturday morning is when the "rowdiness" begins. People arrive to participate in the parade, pay their registration fee (maybe), and ignore the rules. That's when the stupid stuff starts. The Milhakos banned riding after the parade for a couple hours because of an accident on the ride back. Some folks ignored rules of the road and one paid a price for it.

As to crossing the border with bikes in tow, Big Rob is probably one to talk to. I can tell you that you'll need your passport and IDs. One of my friends here is permanent US resident Canadian, went on vacation with his significant other and didn't have his green card. Almost had a major issue with the Border Patrol.

So many of us are late 40s through our 60s. We know how to act properly. It's the day trippers that ruin the experience, in my opinion.
Well this sounds like an event that I should really try and attend and mark on my bucket list lol. I've always wanted to be at a place where you can freely ride your bike and be among other enthusiasts. They have trails to ride on? Oh man this sounds like fun!!

That's unfortunate for sure and I've been to other events like this with my full size dirt bike and it seems the local riff raff are the ones to get outta hand. Almost like "this is my town and I can do as I please" type attitude.

The parade sounds like a lot of fun and does anyone sell parts or complete mini's?

I'll send Big Rob a PM and ask him his border crossing experience.

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
Lots of us have parts or complete bikes for sale. Some of us will loan out bikes for people that come without one or have a failure.

When I google the address I see a small pond on the property. Is that the correct place. Lots of woods and looks like lots of trails too. Any fish in the pond???

9 hours ride for me. Not to bad.

Doug
Yes, there is a nice little fishing pond on the property! You found the right place. The pond has fish...as long as you throw them back, it's fine.

Doug - Fish, you eat them, just not from his pond.

No barbs on the hooks for fishing. Make sure you ask Jeff. I haven't been in two years and I know some rules have changed. Be respectful, responsible as he can't babysit everyone. He needs to get a pedometer this year to see how many miles he walks. :)

For those of you who smoke, cigarette butts don't grow the grass and are trash. If you dip, the dog eats it. Be nice.

Also, I've driven in with a larger rig - CC Dually + 36' 5th wheel, 13' 6" on probably the worst of the weather years - and yes, I've taken the "bad" turn, every terrible hill, I try to avoid it but, it's been done. I'd recommend a trans service before you go if you have any doubts about it though. Some hills can be a killer if your equipment is not up to par.

See you in June :thumbsup: