Yard Machine wood chipper???

I bought a like new wood chipper with a Tecumseh HM100 that had a damaged chipper housing. I'm not interested in the chipper, but how to get the chipper head off of the crank. It seems to have a short pto shaft with a 3/8 fine thread. The hub of the chipper head looks like it sticks out off the crank about 1 1/2" with a 7/16 fine threaded hole. I'm thinking I need to thread a long bolt in here til it hits the end of the crank and starts forcing the chipper off. There are no setscrews or any thing of that sort. Has anyone worked on one of these?? Am I thinking right, or way off ??? That's the only way I can see to get it off, but would like to know for sure.

Pics won't do any good. If there was anything to see in pics, I would have seen it. a 3/8 bolt held it on. I was just wondering if anyone had done this before, and if that's how it was.

All you can see is the chipper. The guard is bolted to the engine. The chipper has to be removed to get to the guard bolts. The chipper to block distance is probably 1/4 inch, with the guard in between. The only thing you could see is the 2 threaded holes. Pics are worth more than 1000 words if there's anything to see. If I tried to photo the threaded holes, you would see a blurry round thing with a blurry hole in the middle.:smile:

I think I'm going to try the original plan. I thought I'd get lucky and find someone here who had done one. I'm 90% sure that's how it works, but that 10% bothers me a little. There has to be a use for the threaded hole in the hub. I just guessed it was to jam it off when it hits the end of the crank, or for a large dent puller type slide hammer. This engine looks like brand new, not even dirty. I want it for the Manco 3 wheeler, since it came with a Tecumseh I'm going to change it over to electric start though. Too much to be pull starting all the time. I'd have to go start it every time the wife or kids wanted to ride it.

Got the chipper off. :censure: tapered shaft. I'll either have to turn it, swap it out, or mount a sprocket on the end and run it to a jackshaft with a driver and mount a driven on a second jackshaft.

Turn it...or mail it to me in a USPS flat rate box with return cost enclosed, and I'll turn it down to 3/4" and mill a keyway and tap the end for a retaining bolt.

A box just big enough for a crank used to be $9, but I think they just went up a little...should be about $20 total for both directions...but I work pretty slow, so don't expect it back in a week.

I'll turn it and keyway it. I'll have to take it to work and wait til I get a chance to slip it in. Whenever I have to make some machine parts I'll be able to slip it in while the press boss is feeding his face.:thumbsup:

Yep, the shop cat is gone at night, but the press supervisor is fascinated by the lathe and milling machine, so every time I try to play, he has to come watch.:doah:

Yes, except it's black and the handle/hopper and half of the chipper housing was missing. The engine looks new and the rest was real clean. It was pretty new, but fell out of a truck and damaged the handle/hopper and chipper housing. all I wanted was the engine. Also has a couple of Carlisle sawtooth tires. I couldn't passit up for $75

JustEnough

So what did it take to get the cutting head off?

I was planning to salvage the HMM80 engine off of a chipper that I bought for $90, but because it probably has a tapered shaft, I may have to leave the engine on the chipper.

I had to srew a longer bolt into the end of the crank, leaving it out about 1/8" and give it a couple of licks with the hammer. The chipper head also was threaded a little bigger. I think I could have used a slide hammer screwed into that, but I didn't have one big enough. Pull the crank and get it turned to 3/4 and keyed.

Probably, but for $75 for the engine, I figured it was worth tearing it down and turning the crank if I had to. It was only used a couple of times before the chipper housing was broken.