Yeah new at this....but wierd enough...

OK, as a kid (back in the 60's), I remember a few mini bikes around the neighborhood.... but never really thought about them that much...they looked fun....but the "you'll put your eye out" kinda thing stopped any thoughts of that...

But now as a grown-up (yeah right) I go to Wasteland Weekend (a Post Apocalyptic event... a Mad Max themed party in Southern California) and having something cool to drive or ride is a Big part of the fun...

Anyway, my wife and I were at a Thrift store...and there was a Ariens ST2+2 Deluxe snowblower (sold as-is "engine works, gears stripped") for $20.00......But I didn't see it as a snowblower... the first thing through my mind is.....MINI BIKE.....

I can weld and figure stuff out, but unfortunately, I really don't know that much about mini bikes..... so (gotta Love) the Internet.... As I'm searching for information, just about every other search leads me here, So I had to join....

Yeah... I could read alla your past post, but what the heck.... maybe people here would enjoy seeing what I make (and answer some of my stupid questions along the way

It's going to be interesting.....

Welcome aboard MadPatt!! There was a fellow posted a video of that Mad Max event maybe a year or two ago!! He was building I think a Baja MB165-200 specifically for that event!! Looked pretty cool!! I'm a fan of the post apocalyptic movies/stuff!! Look forward to what you come up with!! Post away!! Lots of people here willing to answer questions!! :thumbsup:

Welcome!!! That motor might be a great start, it depends on the pto shaft. The common size for a centrifugal clutch is 3/4"od, 2 1/4" long with a keyway, and a 5/16"-24 tapped center hole for a bolt. So pull that Badboy off there and see what you got. Even if the pto is tapered and threaded outside (some motors are like that on pumps, generators, etc.) you still got a good deal in my opinion!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing what design you go with!!! Plenty of good info and Friendly folks around here!!!

Last edited:
My first snowblower was the same one, when it rusted away the 5HP Tech found a new life in a minibike, I had the diaphram carb on mine.......................Tom.

Hey MadPatt, welcome to the OldMiniBikes !

Sounds like you have the right mindset, and are thinking in the right direction.......mini bike !!

There are numerous 'scratch' builders around here that are very talented, and can turn an idea drawn on a napkin into a reality...check out some of BigRob's threads, Chatten63, Jeep2003 , and TanksRus, for starters (there are more I don't recall who all)....these guys will start with just an idea, and before you know it they are riding the thing !

Have fun, and keep us posted.

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

Welcome aboard!
I went through my deformative years in Arnold, CA. We used to come to Sonora to "cruise" in front of Thrifty and go see the movies! Times have changed!
Find yourself an old minibike and use that engine you have there. Search Craigslist...prob a ton of bikes in the Valley! Good luck!

T-Town Mini

I saw an article in Raw Bike magazine about a Mad Max run in Indianapolis. Not only were the bikes ratted out Mad Max style but the riders were also in their full post-apocalyptic gear as well. Wild stuff.

That would be a good theme to build a minibike on...

Welcome to OldMiniBikes
Oh man I wish there was a Mad Max event near me , I would be all over it

As suggested find yourself an old roller frame and start cutting and welding

A side car rig with lots of spikes and a flame thrower would be cool or two frames welded together side by side

Lol lots of room for creativity

Thanks for the welcome...

Well I got most of the snowblower off the engine. So I could check it out, it has a 3/4" keyed shaft...so far so good. The next step is to make a stand for the engine, I think I'll bolt some 2x4's to the snowblower's base that the engine was mounted on, so I can play with the motor, and fabricate some of the parts, prior to mounting it to the frame.

I'm still reading a lot of post so I have a better idea of what I'm going to do, and how I want to design it. (the home-made/ monster thread is giving me a lot of ideas....)

I'm thinking of using 16"x 4" wheels (at about $16 I can afford that)... and looking at centrifugal clutches (there is one for about $17.... but I know I'd be better off getting a slightly more expensive/better quality one )... I can weld, so I'll be making my own frame and components, but everything is still in the design stage....

And I have to decide how I'm going to design it so it looks properly Post Apocalyptic...part of the fun of this project in not to just make a mini-bike, but to make an Awsome PA mini-bike....hummmm, maybe (dummy) .30 cal machine-guns.... 8)

My friends and I thought about going to Wasteland Weekend last year, but got lazy. We usually go camping each November in Jawbone Canyon, which is right by where they hold that event. Last year was the first in 15+ that no one went down there.

Dang, took forever to go through all the post in the Monster/homemade thread. Did get some good ideas though...

I've been playing with Blender figuring out how I (might) want to make the frame... and searching other threads here for information....

But once the rains let-up and with Day Light Savings time giving me more time in the evenings (well with enough light to do anything) I should be starting on it kinda soon.

I would check you local craigs list for a nice roller. There are lots of mini bikes in Cali. Don't buy one of those 17.00 centrifical clutches. Most of them don't have a set screw to tighten to a keyway. You need to have a tapped crank to hold them on. Your snow blowers crank probably isn't tapped. Spend a few extra dollars and get a decent clutch from OldMiniBikes warehouse. You can "click" on the OldMiniBikes store at the top of this page.:thumbsup:

I'm still here.... it's just that a buncha other stuff keeps getting in the way (wife's garden, and clearing the ex-goat field are just two of them....)