Search results

1. M

hard starting 3 1/2HP

Here is a pic of the carb. The compression is there but not real strong. The puller doesn't always catch either which drives me nuts. But it is an old engine so what can you expect. I think I may have put too much oil in it, it is up to the bottom of the filler hole. I though it was a litle much...
  2. M

hard starting 3 1/2HP

Hello again I have gotten my 1959 3 1/2 briggs running good. It will sit there and idle until it runs out of gas, but it doesn't like to start with out some type of prime. I have to give it a shot a starting fluid (i know, I know) to get it to catch. I am not sure what I can do to make it start...
  3. M

obsolete parts for 3hp?

The bike is up and running. I am not sure what happened but now it is throwing good spark. I had taken the coil out and had it in my car and the sun heated it up. I decided that I was going to give it one more shot and make sure the points were right on and the fly wheel was .010 and no more...
  4. M

obsolete parts for 3hp?

I think I will just return the coil then. If I am going to change the fly wheel I might as well put in an electronic ignition. I will get this little guy to run if it kills me or my wife kills me for dumping money into it. We should have a dog house smiley face because that where these little...
  5. M

obsolete parts for 3hp?

That is interesting. I wonder why they would do that. There must be a reason. I ordered the coil so if you see it listed in the classified you will know that it did not work :doah:
  6. M

obsolete parts for 3hp?

I see that there are only two mounting holes for this coil, does it mount right up or do I need to do some type of modification? I found one on Amazon for 21 bucks so I guess it is worth a shot. I will let everyone know how I make out. Thanks
  7. M

obsolete parts for 3hp?

I just got off the phone with the local small engine shop and they told me my magneto is no longer available. I went to parts tree and it said the same thing. Any sugestions? The part number I got is 291617 if that helps anyone
  8. M

point setting 1959 3HP

I got the points set but I am still not getting any sprk out of the plug. I tried a new plug wire and that didn't help. Looks like I am going to get a new coil and see if that does the trick.
  9. M

point setting 1959 3HP

I put in my new points and condenser last night and I am still not getting any spark. I still have juice at the plug wire but no spark coming from the plug. The plug is new so I know it is not that. Do I just need to set my points on my engine? I have never set the points on a small engine so I...
  10. M

Help identify my Briggs

Found one online here it is if anyone is interested. Thanks http://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/briggs/81300-ms6932-1185.pdf
  11. M

Help identify my Briggs

Does anyone have a diagram of this engine? I need to learn how to get the flywheel off so I can change the points. Thanks!
  12. M

Help identify my Briggs

I just added some pics of the engine if that helps anyone. Thanks
  13. M

Help identify my Briggs

I am trying to identify my Briggs and Stratton engine. I have the numbers and I tried to decode it but I am missing something. Model number- 81302 Type- 943546 Serial number- 5909090 The way I read this is 8 Cubic inch 1 basic design...
  14. M

Montgomery Ward

Boy it sure looks original but you are probley right. Lord knows I put what ever engine I can find on these things, so good point. Thanks for the help.
  15. M

Montgomery Ward

The motor is a Briggs and Stratton
  16. M

Montgomery Ward

Did Montgomery Ward buy these bikes and put thier names on them because it clearly states it is a Montgomery Ward bike. I am just making sure. Thanks for the post!
  17. M

Old Briggs starting probs

I will have to search the threads to see if there is one on how to change the points on these little guys. Thanks for the help Does anyone know if this little electronic ignition will mount up on the 2 1/2 HP Briggs? This is the one I found. Please wait Image not available View...
  18. M

Can anyone tell me what this engine is so I can try to look up the parts? I just read a post about an electronic ignition. Any thoughts on this?
  19. M

Hello, so it has to be something easy ut I can not figure it out. When I pull the cord I am getting juice at the plug wire (is bites me when I hold it) but I am not getting any spark at the plug. I have tried two brand new plugs and just to make sure. I took off the magnito and cleaned it with...
  20. M

Montgomery Ward

Hello, I just picked up this little mini bike and I am tring to narrow down what it is. I do know that it is an all original Montgomery Ward mini bike, but I don't know that era or the model mumber. The engine is a Briggs flat head and it looks original. If anyone knows what this engine is I...