1971 Copper 5hp Briggs Rebuild

The Ruppster is exactly correct. On these old engines it is not (only) just about cylinder wall scoring and if it smokes or not. As Jeff mentioned, there are other very important tolerances to check that Briggs refers to as "reject sizes" in their repair manuals, any of which could be "deal breakers" as they are generally not cost effective to repair/replace. If you are going to start restoring/rebuilding/refurbishing old Briggs engines do yourself a favor and purchase a manual or two so YOU have the specs. There are some great deals on EBay (I've seen NOS manuals for as low as $ 5.00 + shipping).
Michael
Im going to start watching ebay for a manual. I think im going to end up buying a new block for 80 shipped.

My progress on this engine completely stopped back in 2012. I had some health problems that kept me from being able to work on it. Today I was cleaning and organizing the shop when I found 5 boxes full of 5hp flathead parts. One of the boxes contained all the parts from this project!

Tinkering with engines has been a hobby of mine since I was a kid and unfortunately that hobby for the most part stopped in 2012. I decided to look through the box and see what condition things were in. It looks like everything is still there and in good condition.

When I stopped working on it I was in the process of trying to find a new block. The valve guides need replaced and the block needs to be bored over .020. I have several other 5hp Briggs blocks laying around that need valve jobs as well. So, I'm considering ordering an e-z bore valve installation kit to do that part myself. The kits are kind of expensive but Im hoping that will be the motivation I need to get back I to tinkering with engines. I will still need to take it to the machine shop to have the cylinder bored.

I'm glad to be back on here. Never take your health for granted!