1971 Copper 5hp Briggs Rebuild

I purchased a 1971 copper briggs 5hp model 130202 from Minibikin. I am going to do a complete restoration/rebuild of the motor. I want this thing to look like it just rolled out of the factory in 71!!! I have al

Here are pictures of what it looked like before being torn down.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff453/wmgatorfan08/1971%20Copper%205hp%20Briggs/IMG_1305.jpg[/IM

[IMG]http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff453/wmgatorfan08/1971%20Copper%205hp%20Briggs/IMG_1302.jpgG]

Here are some pictures of the cylinder after tear down. The third picture shows the top piston ring inside the cylinder. There is quite a bit of cap between the ends of the ring. The cylinder itself is in EXCELLENT condition!!! I was very surprised at how smooth it was.

Here are some pictures of the crankshaft journal and the piston. The journal and crankshaft are in great condition!! The piston is in fairly good condition but I am going to probably replace it and the rings.

Here are some pictures of the carburetor. It is in fairly good condition. It is missing the piece of metal that slides into the throat of the carburetor. Is that easy to replace??? I have a spare carb laying around that I can take it out of.

Here is a video showing the play in the valve guides. I am not sure what is allowable or not. So any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1971 Copper 5hp Briggs Valve Guide Play - YouTube

Here is a video showing the play in the throttle shaft of the carb. Again I am not sure what is within spec or not???

1971 Copper 5hp Briggs Carb Throttle Shaft Play - YouTube

I plan on taking the block to a local machine shop to have the cylinder looked at. It looks to be in great shape but I want to see how even the wear is throughout the entire cylinder. If it needs to be cleaned up I am going to let them hone and bore it if over.

All input is greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:

MB165

wow that oil ring is worn down, good choice to get the cylinder checked out. It wouldnt hurt to have the valve guides checked too.
There is no shortage of parts to redo it. have fun

Thanks, I will post updates each step of the way.

I am going to bring the block to the machine shop tomorrow. I also plan to look for some paint. I have a paint gun so If I can find a good matching automotive engine paint I am going to go with that. I want to try my best to restore this 100% original.

I ordered a new gas cap last night. I think I am going to order a carb kit and maybe a few other small things tonight.

Thanks!

Well I went in to work early so I could leave early only to find the machine shop decided to randomly close down early :( So I guess I will take it monday.

I had no luck finding paint today but I did find a good clear coat that I am testing out. I hope that it will be fairly gas resistant.

What do you need the Machine shop for?.. If you want to check if the bore is worn. buy a new set of rings and put one inlike you did with your old ring and, and then check the gap!. Thats the Shade tree way!..:thumbsup:

Thanks!

Well I went in to work early so I could leave early only to find the machine shop decided to randomly close down early :( So I guess I will take it monday.

I had no luck finding paint today but I did find a good clear coat that I am testing out. I hope that it will be fairly gas resistant.

125ccCrazy

those guides look pretty loose especially on the intake side..... some of the old timers say if you can wiggle it it's too loose....the recommended valve to guide tolerance is .0015

those guides look pretty loose especially on the intake side..... some of the old timers say if you can wiggle it it's too loose....the recommended valve to guide tolerance is .0015
Well the guides look to be part of the block?? Can the machine shop drill out a bigger hole and put in like a sleeved valve guide???

I got a lot of painting done today. I will post some pictures later tonight or tomorrow after everything has dried properly.

What do you guys think about the carb?? Should I leave it bare metal or paint it??

I got a lot of painting done today. I will post some pictures later tonight or tomorrow after everything has dried properly.

What do you guys think about the carb?? Should I leave it bare metal or paint it??
The engines were painted after assembly at the plant. I leave mine bare to avoid the fuel eating at the finish.

125ccCrazy

Well the guides look to be part of the block?? Can the machine shop drill out a bigger hole and put in like a sleeved valve guide???
usually the exhaust guide is removable but the intakes are not....The guides can be reamed out and then press in bronze guides followed by honing them to tolerance... Unless your bore checks out to be in spec you might be better off buying a new block for what you will have in machine work and parts...