30 Series TAV Spring Hole question.

The tighter the spring is wound the longer it will stay in low range. It makes it harder for the driven pulley to open. It will still get into high range just at a higher rpm.

That is a great question Kevin and something that I have wondered about on our Comet 30 Torque converter on the Super Bronc. I have been told by Ron Kimball that Hole # 1 is the "factory setting" (which is where ours is), however, I do not know if that is the best setting for hill climbing/trail riding power where you do not care about top speed.
Michael

Hi creia!

After I posted that I had it figured out before the reply came in ... sometimes I just need to chill ...

The tighter the spring is the harder it will be to get the driven to open up allowing the belt to drop further into the plates thus increasing speed. Also when your off the gas its going to be quicker to close thus getting you back into "low gear" quicker.

Question is how much difference is there between hole #1, #2 & #3?
Is age a factor?

Question is how much difference is there between hole #1, #2 & #3?
Is age a factor?
I have always just left my TAV's in the #2 hole even on my race trike :thumbsup: My VT3 with an almost stock clone will pull my 190lb butt thru trails, up hills and still do 40 on the street and pull my wife in a trailer :thumbsup:

Your 30 Series Tav has the excat same driven hole sequence and the spring is in the same # 1 hole as the Comet 30 on our Super Bronc. By your explanation I take it that moving the spring to the RIGHT to the # 2 and #3 holes TIGHTENS the spring? Good point you raise about age of the spring might be a factor. I would think that with time/use these springs would fatigue?
Michael

Hi Harleys papa!

I will leave it in the center hole for now. Last time I was hitting the trails hard with the 46 yer old cat99 and my 285lb butt on the seat the bike seemed to bog down when it came to a quick hill.
I checked the driven later and one of 3 buttons is touching the ramp, the other 2 had an air gap. I pulled the moveable 1/2 out and it wobbles in the shaft pretty bad. I dont see how it comes apart so i bought a 30 series that I'll try to install tomorrow.

Kevin,
The spring in your photo above s in the # 2 (middle) hole? What hole is it in on your Super Broncs with a Comet 30? Ours is in the # 1 (far left) hole. I remember Ron Kimball telling me that was the factory setting.
Michael

Last edited:
Im pretty sure the load kinda needs to be let off a bit for it to gear down. Atleast in theory. Im sure its worse on a worn out driven

Hi Michael!

The VT-8 is up at my daughters house, havent seen it in awhile.
I have never had a reason to pull the cover off the VT-10 so I have no idea what stock position would be.

Jeep2003, my brother wants to go out and beat on the bikes saturday ... I'll find out then whats what.