5 hp briggs tank mount carb dont pickup

engine runs fine with holding a rag over carb but dosent pick up fuel otherwise do you think its an obstruction in the carb? motor seems to have good compression i dont have the element for the air filter i have been told it should still run without it i replaced all the carb gaskets any tips?

Did you change the diaphram on the left side of the carb? The engine wiil run without the air filter element, but not well. You need an element to allow the positive and negative pressure to pulse the diaphram.

I always pull the diaphram and mixture screw and blow out the 2 holes behind the diaphram. One goes down through the pickup tube and the other goes through the jet/mixture screw. I set the mixture by screwing the screw in til it seats lightly and backing it out 3/4 turn. That's usually real close, but may need tweeking after the engine is warmed up.

bought the filter element and still doing the same thing not picking up fuel could it have low compression? when i put my hand over the carb it runs like a beast sounds great idles great im stumped

It almost sounds like it's leaking where the carb bolts to the engine. With low compression, they usually only run a second or two. With the engine idling, spray WD 40 around where it bolts to the engine. If it smokes or dies, or starts missing, etc., a leak is the problem. Could be the intake valve isn't seating good enough too. But it's best to try one thing at a time, and eliminate possibilities as you go.

Miked, Sometimes, if the motor is put away with fuel in it, as the fuel evaporates, over a long period of time, it coates the pick-up tube with a film, inside and out, a good carb cleaner, will liquidfy it again, and a blowing out with compressed air, will remove it, pay good attention to the little screen on the bottom of the tube, get it a time or 2 with the carb cleaner, and then with the air, on some styles you have to be real carefull that you have all the small parts out, cause when you hit it with the air, small parts fly..., also check to see it the head bolts are tight, compression starts in the cylendar, and if the head isn't tight, or the carb gasket is leaking, compression is lost, good luck .
dave

i put all new gaskets dont think its leaking anywhere but i think its a clog i will try again and post with my luck thanks

took the carb off and pickup tube was clogged will let yous know what happened im going in the garage right now to see what happens

got it running it was a lever operated motor that incorporated the choke i wired the choke open the type that pulls out from the back of the carb the only solution i can come up with is to get a different carb which i have on a parts motor uses the air filter with 2 screws any one have one of those air cleaners?

motor runs great i blew out the pickup tubes with carb and choke cleaner from the holes in the pump motor runs great thanks for the help

I'm about to chase down what I think is the same problem with my Briggs motor for a bike a recently acquired. This has been a pretty informative thread. Hopefully my issue will prove solve-able as well..