5hp B&S Recoil Housing has Banchees in it

capguncowboy

So last fall I bought a go kart from a guy. I got it for dirt cheap because the motor didn't have the recoil housing and he couldn't start it. I didn't care because I already had another motor to put on it anyway.

Fast forward 7 months:

I dragged the Briggs motor out on Easter weekend and decided I'd sell it. I figured I'd have an easier time selling it if it was running. I called up a friend of mine who lives near a lawn mower junk yard and asked if he could grab a recoil housing for me. He said he had a motor and that it didn't run and I could have it. He said the recoil was the same and that it should just swap over. He also mentioned that sometimes the housing would screech while the motor was running. He suggested I oil it. I've never heard that, but whatever.

I got it home and swapped it over. Before I installed it, I lubed up the housing sides, and front of it, under the recoil. I put it on the motor and it started right up. It's a great running motor.

Just as it started to idle, it let out a screech that just about deafened me. It was so loud and high pitched that my neighbor came running over in concern. He said he thought my arm had gotten caught in the motor and I was screaming.

I checked the house and can't see any reason it would do this. It's not the motor, it's definitely the housing for the recoil that's doing it.

Does anyone have experience with this and were you able to fix it?

capguncowboy

OH YEAH,I know that sound well.
And the sound of all the ball bearing flying out too.:laugh:
Take the recoil back off.
On the end of the crank there should be a little hole.
Squirt some AFT in there. See if that does it.
What's AFT? Sorry, I'm new to this game.

Fortunately, I'm great with my hands and can figure just about anything out. However, this banshee's lovecall coming from my motor was beyond me.

capguncowboy

Today I took the crank off and cleaned all the bearings and the inside of the assembly. I didn't have any ATF so I put a little bit of liquid wrench in it and closed it back up. Runs like a champ now -- and it no longer sounds like it has a banshee or bag of cats in it.

Thanks again for your help!

I always take the ratchet apart and clean the ball bearings as well as lube the felt pad and everything else with white lithium grease before assembly. First time one started screeching I though it was going to blow up, scared the hell out of me.:doah: