97cc governer question

verk182

I am having trouble getting the governer linkage back on to the shaft that comes out of the case. The shaft pushes back into the case and makes it very hard to get the linkage back on. I must be overlooking something, any advice? Here is a picture. Also when putting the linkage on should the shaft be turned clockwise to where it stops or counter clockwise? Here is a picture of the the little SOB!

Put the cotter pin on first to hold it out. Rotate the thing clockwise then put on arm in full clockwise while attached to carb. The cotter goes in a little groove that's what holds it out.

in the picture that he has above to the left of the governer what is that opening that is sealed off ive seen it i just cant figure out what it is?? thanks!! :)

verk182

Put the cotter pin on first to hold it out. Rotate the thing clockwise then put on arm in full clockwise while attached to carb. The cotter goes in a little groove that's what holds it out.
Thanks Dudly. The shaft did not have a groove in it, probably the reason the linkage kept sliding off and becoming loose. I grooved it with my dremel and seems to hold well now. Now I just have to figure out all the springs and get the throttle action working properly again.:drinkup:

Also I noticed when removing the clutch that the drive shaft was stripped where the bolt goes in to hold the clutch on. Anyone else run into that problem?

The spring that you still have hooked up in your picture is the return spring-the other end hooks to the bottom side of the muffler's wire heat guard. The medium spring is the one in this picture:

The hook that is more than 180 degrees goes to the right, the hook that's just 180 degrees the governor shaft (left) the open ends of the hooks face the motor.
The little spring should be wrapped around the carb linkage is it still?
If so linkage in the big hole of the carb throttle arm-spring in the little hole---other side of linkage in top hole of governor arm, spring in second hole. The linkage should go down the hole in the carb arm and go from outside to motor side on the governor arm.

The armbone is connected to the wristbone-the wristbone is connected to the handbone-the handbone is wrapped around the just plain bone--now hear the word of the lord.

verk182

The one hanging in the picture was the one that was hooked up to the governer arm, there is a larger black spring that is the return spring. I believe the governer spring has sprung:hammer: seems to be to long and does not actuate the governer linkage when throttle is twisted. I am going to get a few springs this morning and see if I can make something work, or just use the old paper clip method. I have concerns bypassing the governer since this is my sons mini and I dont want any catostrophic failure. Any suggestions on springs, I know the tension needs to be the same as stock for the governer to work properly but not sure how to find the right one!

First try taking the old spring and putting an end bend a little further up the shaft of the strait section of the spring to make it a little shorter---otherwise take the old spring with you to the hardware store to try and get one that has similar pull.
Looking at the picture again that spring is tweaked buy a few cheap springs and experiment. You have 6 settings to help dial it in. Stock clutch 12 tooth and stock rear 70 tooth 14 inch tire your bike should top out at 26mph. It can handle faster -one way to test is run down hill the governor should keep the bike from speeding up past governed speed a portable GPS is real good to run the test.

Last edited:
Luckily we own and operate an Ace hardware store so I plan on sifting through our spring assortment this afternoon when I get some time.

My current setup on the Blitz is the promod jackshaft, 11 tooth clutch and whatever stock is on rear sprocket. This setup has been great for my 8 year old son and it is even fun for his 260 lbs dad!!!

Are you running the 18/13 on the jackshaft-if you give me that info-the tire(14 is stock) and the rear sprocket depends on what issue the DB30 was --we can give you the numbers for speed=rpms