A new page in life

Well, I've been praying for a good while now for God to help me find a way to move closer to my family in South Texas. Granted I'm only two hours away from them where I live now, it's still something I've wanted to do - get back to my roots, where I grew up, turf I ran when I was younger, hunted, fished, etc....
Big city life is fun and all, but when you have custody of a strapping young 3yr old and no family around (or significant other), you tend to forget about the partying and going out that used to be a part of every day life/weekends. That big city that you live in is no longer big, but "distant". It's all about my son now, especially since he is involved in a broken home type situation.

Well, on Monday, after spending my birthday weekend in Alice with my parents and my son, I decided to make a call out of the blue to an old best friend of mine from back home to ask if he was hiring. He owns and operates an oilfield equipment rental business. Turns out, I called at the right time and secured a position within his company. :thumbsup:

I've gotten green lights from the company I work with now and my landlord (who is so graciously letting me out of my lease with no incurred charges) to go ahead and get things in motion to make the transition. As soon as I'm done submitting this post, I'm starting on my two weeks notice letter and submitting that as well.

I have not felt this much relief and excitement in TOO long. Just thought I'd share with some of my good buddies here on OldMiniBikes.

The hard part will come when I tell his mother that I am moving 140 miles away from her with our son......

Good luck Grant sounds like a good move :thumbsup:

Better to get the little guy settled in before he starts school and begins making friends.

Last edited:
I feel the same way about city living now that im older.(45) It sounds like you have a great opportunity to find what youve been longing for. I believe that its very important to have ones soul be at peace and have balance. Few people truly have that. Dont be discouraged if you hit a few snags along the way. They are to be expected...but are just that....snags.( Little speed bumps if you will)

Good luck in your new position....and if you will. Keep us posted. I love to hear good things happening to people that deserve it.

GSbiker

Making decisions based on the well being of the kids. What a concept. I wish more parents would do that.

My four kids are all grown, through college and on their own. The time between three years old to them moving out goes by way too fast. It flies by. Make the best of it.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Congrats on your prayers being answered. I know how things go when nothing seems to be going in the direction that you want it to, you either start praying and asking for help or slowly let it consume you. Keep your head up and know that you are doing the right thing for your little boy. He might not understand it all now but he will someday when he gets older and thank you for being there for him through everything. Best of luck on the new job, new place to live and being closer to your family.

It is good to hear positive things happening for others, puts a smile on my face.

Big city life is for the birds anyway!!!

jprice

OldMiniBikes.com
awesome man!! glad everything is falling together for ya!!we always try and do whats best for our kids for sure! good man! and yeah im sure the ex will be pissed ! But oh well lol keep us in the loop !

jrzmac

The hard part will come when I tell his mother that I am moving 140 miles away from her with our son......
congratulations! I doubt the ex is gonna like hearing this news! pretty sweet that you got custody though :smile: so it probly doesn't matter what she thinks anyway! good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks homies. This is a very important move for me and my son. I don't think I would have ever felt "settled" or at peace here in San Antonio. Something I need to feel before I can start the rest of my life with my son and my future family. Every time I visit my parents and watch my son playing in the backyard, where I built so many memories, it makes me wish more and more that it's not too late to watch him re-live those same moments that I did. It's what laid the foundation of my life/morals/values, etc... My father and I shared so many bonding activities there and being an only child makes me realize all the more how important he made me feel when I was growing up. Not to mention one of my favorite things to do when I'm back home is watching him and my son interact together. I can see now how much he loved spending time with me when I was still at home in my childhood. Here's a photo taken just this past weekend. I snapped it when they weren't looking, from inside the house while they were outside on the swingset.

bandit 40

Grant you got your priority's in place my friend ,it sounds like your doing a fantastic job as a father:thumbsup:. Your son is a very lucky boy to have a father that cares about his future.....You and him will have a great bond as he grows older , and he will turn out to be the thoughtful and caring person you have.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

buckeye

Big city life will soon fade. Family connections made will never fade.
Cool for you both. Make it easy for his Mom to continue to be part of his life. No matter what the past is, she still is important to his life.
Congrats on you opertunity to make life better for you both.
Prob some hometown hottie just waiting on ya.
I