Another new guy here...Anyone from the Chicago area?

Hello everyone,

My name is Dan,

I had a Rupp Roadster when I was in seventh grade, before that I had an old Wards mini bike, I eventually moved on to dirt bikes and the street bikes. haven't had a motorcycle since 1990.

My first love is guitars followed by vintage snowmobiles, I have six old sleds.

For some strange reason I recently acquired an overwhelming desire for an old school mini bike, something with a 3.5 - 6.5 briggs & stratton or other old 4 stroke old school minibike...I am 51 so maybe it's some sort of mid life to 3/4 life man thing?

I am having a difficult time locating an old school mini bike locally, all the CL listing are too far south or out of state.

Anyway, I am in the market for a minibike and will be asking you folks for your experience/input/advice...I want something that I have to put some work into, just not a total restore...I already have two sleds which I am bringing back to life, what a pain locating parts :(

What's up Dan-Names Bill and I am just over the state line in Northwest IN. Been a member here for quite a while. Anyway not sure where U B in IL but I personally know a couple of folks in IL that might be able to help you find something-if I can't. So, Welcome and shoot me a personal message when you get a chance-

Thanks everyone,

Bill I can't send a pm until I have five post, however, I don't mind replying to my own thread.

I live in Waukegan which is very near the IL/WI border. If you know some folks in the area let me know.

I did locate this mini bike which is just over an hour away, could be a good starter unit, maybe I can throw one of them cheap $119 Harbor Freight engines on it or locate a good Briggs & Stratton.

MINI BIKE

Please advise and thank you for the reply to my thread.

All the best.

Dan

Welcome Dan, I am just above the state line in Kenosha. Used to work in North Chicago at the Naval Base. Let me know if you need any help with fabrication. Take care, Joe.

Welcome Dan. I'm just outside of Madison, WI and I've driven over several state lines for a minibike before, so don't sweat it. In fact, tomorrow I'm going over an hour away just to pick up an engine:doah:

45t

I'm in Elgin about an hour southwest from you. I got two bikes, both builders, if your interested?

The blue one is a Cat R4004 with a Briggs 3hp. The red one is a Cat 400X cloned to look like the R4004 (bigger tires, handlebars and suspended front end). The engine on the red one is already spoken for.

Last edited:
welcome to OldMiniBikes I am just over the border in Beloit,Wi. plan on driving if you want good ones,I have been to Mi.,Mn.,Oh.,Ind.,Ill.,Ia.,and Pa. after bikes

Wow! the responses this thread are overwhelmingly great! I have some calls to make later this morning, some of you are less than 1/2 hr drive from me...and yes, I know I am going to have to drive (cross state lines) to get parts or deals, I have found that out with my three current project sleds, I've had to go to swap meets as well.

Here are a few of my projects, I have a third project sled that is a 72 Mercury Rocket, it's basically mint other than it has zero spark and one of the cylinders has a hole in it, I did manage to locate a replacement CCW 339cc motor from a gentlemen in Grand Rapids MI. I am building one good engine out of the existing and the one I located.

71 Lynx, I just found some replacement skis, they need sand blasting, powder coating and new wear bars, I may just paint them, I also have to figure out why the lights are not functioning, it runs great, it's loud and being a single lung it's slow, however, it's fun...I really love this old sled.

This is my first project sled, 72 Merc Lightning, it was wrecked, I replaced the rear tank bracket/handle bumper, I replaced all the drive bearings, boggies, gas cap, light switch, drive coggs, drive seals, brakes, track, fuel line,. ect. I have more parts to put one which I very recently found via vintagesleds.com ...year correct seat, lens covers, throttle cable, spark plug cover, chassis brackets and some electrical components...the sled runs great, it always starts on the second pull...the hardest part has been locating parts, it's not worth what I have into it and it's not even a desirable vintage sled, however it's fun and has kept me busy in a good way...I will post more pics later.