Another Tecumseh 3.5hp throttle linkage question

I have recently aquired a Techumseh 3.5hp engine. But I am confused on how the throttle linkage should look where the cable attaches. I have searched on here and some threads show the linkage with a spring alone going to the governer, whilst some have a rod aswell, which I don't have but makes more sense. I only have the spring and it just stretches when I move the throttle. How does it pull the governer arm, or am I missing something? Here's a shot I found of one with a rod attached.

theres no rod, if you look that is just the cable end bent over and looks like it's hooked to the governor arm..

The spring pulls on the governor arm when you pull the throttle.. The spring pulls the governor arm over, until the engine gets to speed, then the governor stays at that spot, no matter how hard you pull on that spring.. Thats how it governs the speed..

Right, heres some shots of MY engine. I think the spring is actually fine, but why is it the more I move the cable/lever, the harder the throttle is to open? Shouldn't it be the other way round (and actually open at all?)

Right, heres some shots of MY engine. I think the spring is actually fine, but why is it the more I move the cable/lever, the harder the throttle is to open? Shouldn't it be the other way round (and actually open at all?)
It looks to be hooked up right.. it should work.. Pull the cable is pulling the throttle open.. Only thing that I see is it should have some kind of spring pulling that first main arm on the shroud back to an idle position when you let off the throttle, so it doesn't stick wide open on ya.. If it binds up or actually GETS HARD to pull, that might be a kink in the cable or the stud and nut combo setup that the arm is working on.. Those get rusty or grimey and over tightened and stuff.. It happens... :laugh:

Aren't you our member in the UK?? or possibly like Australia??? and made that bike because bikes are impossible to find where you live???

In that case, it may just (FEEL) backwards to you, because Americans spin the twist grip one way, and Europe spins it the other.. :laugh: That might be some of the problem we are having here...

Also, your motor is not 3.5 horse power, it is 4 or 5.. It's the HS40 or HS50 model.. :thumbsup: Those things are good motors..

Last edited:
He has the eailer stye Tecumseh throttle set up. But his may have been designed for setting the throtle in place and leaving it. He may have to loose that bolt holding the arm that looks like a boomerang,and make the throttle arm look like mine.Also need the return spring like is on mine.
Hey, Cot were are you located.

Aren't you our member in the UK?? or possibly like Australia??? and made that bike because bikes are impossible to find where you live???

Also, your motor is not 3.5 horse power, it is 4 or 5.. It's the HS40 or HS50 model.. :thumbsup: Those things are good motors..
I might be that member you mean; I did built my bike, and am building another, hence the Techumseh engine, on a chopper/bobber style build :thumbsup:

And are you sure it is a larger engine? I don't doubt the engine itself, rather my luck, if it is a tad more powerful! That's ace!

I might be that member you mean; I did built my bike, and am building another, hence the Techumseh engine, on a chopper/bobber style build :thumbsup:

And are you sure it is a larger engine? I don't doubt the engine itself, rather my luck, if it is a tad more powerful! That's ace!
I am certain the engine is rated at 4 to 5 horse power.. The HS series engines are the only ones to use that left hand intake manifold.. The 8-10 horse engines feed from the left as well but are very much different from your motor.. If you take the intake manifold off.. The shape of the port hole it self will tell you 4 or 5 horse power..

And although they are technically RATED .5 horse power more.. an HS40 4 horse will run circles around the 3.5 horse motors... Thats what the HS engines were designed to do.... Kinda like a factory built racing engine.. They have great acceleration and overall power output.. It might CLAIM an extra 1/2 horse power.. but the low end torque throughout the power band far exceeds the 3.5's any day... :scooter: