ARCO Alexander Reynolds Brake setup

Hey forum,

I have an ARCO type frame. I installed a clutch band brake (5.5 Intek Briggs), but for some reason, it slides to the side, and it's dangerously useless. I would like to install something very safe because my children ride it.

any suggestions? I really don't want to weld anything to the frame. Also, it has those brackets where the old scrub brakes used to be. I'm not going with that option whatsoever.

Thanks for your help,

Normally a band brake pulls to the side if the anchor pin is not 100% perpendicular to the clutch, so when the brake is engaged one side binds more than the other and this pulls it skew and makes it ineffective. Once set up right they are awesome brakes.

Post some pics so we can make sure

Welcome to OldMiniBikes

Hey folks...

Me and the son were out riding minis today.. My brake completely failed, so I dismounted it. It wasn't completely perpendicular to the clutch so it came off in the middle of the ride. The bottoms of my shoes were hot as a MF, and I burned much of the band as it rubbed on the chain. The bolts on the engine don't really align correctly. Ill take come pics tomorrow for everyone to see.

Scrub breaks are out of the question as they work poorly on the tire (and mfg. by tire folks, go figure). I guess it may serve as a great E-Brake

I'd like to install brakes on the front as well, but there are no mounts to do so. Any suggestions?

Alternate Band brake ideas.

Here are some pics of the bike last week. I haven't done anything except my sons painting the sprocket/rear wheel flat black.

I would like to explore the low/no cost idea of having as many safety/stopping featured on this thing as possible.

Thanks again for the help guys. :shrug: :grind: :eek:ut: