backyarder visitors

A young pheasant...
There used to be pheasants all around where I live. When I was little I'd tag along as my dad and brother hunted for them in farmers' fields. They're tasty. Never see 'em anymore. Development sort of pushed them out. I don't believe they are a native bird.

WLB

Pheasants were an Asian bird. And yes they are very tasty. Our favorite is to bake them in a covered ceramic bowl with Kentucky bourbon to eliminate the dryness.

That's a pilleated (sp) woodpecker...they are huge. We used to have one that would frequent the woods next to our house when we lived in SC.

Beautiful birds.

Last edited:
We had one of those Pecker Woods that was always the early bird at our house when we lived in Charleston. That little so and so would show up just as the sun was coming up and go to town on the chimney. We had a Buck Stove in the house with a 10 or 12 inch triple walled metal pipe from the top of the firebox through the roof and about 2 foot higher than the ridge. Never did figure out what his infatuation was with that metal pipe but it would make you sit straight up in the bed from a dead sleep.... I had not thought about that in years... I went out the door many a morning with the 22 in hand to keel that bird but he would fly as soon as the door clicked. I would have left his dead behind right on the roof to remind all the others of their fate if I could have gotten a shot on him.

Ahhh the memories.

Doug

We had one of those Pecker Woods that was always the early bird at our house when we lived in Charleston. That little so and so would show up just as the sun was coming up and go to town on the chimney. We had a Buck Stove in the house with a 10 or 12 inch triple walled metal pipe from the top of the firebox through the roof and about 2 foot higher than the ridge. Never did figure out what his infatuation was with that metal pipe but it would make you sit straight up in the bed from a dead sleep....Doug
***************************************************************************************

Just an FYI for all. What is described by FOMOGO is a "mating call" of sorts. I had one years ago the would go to town on my metal eaves troughs at zero-daylight-thirty. Makes a heck of a racket, and can also be heard all over the neighborhood. I did a bit of research to learn that it was a method employed by the male in an effort to attract females. They will usually find a phone pole or tree that resonates quite well, but in my case, and the other two mentioned here, they chose a metallic object that they found suitable.

Roger

***************************************************************************************

Just an FYI for all. What is described by FOMOGO is a "mating call" of sorts. I had one years ago the would go to town on my metal eaves troughs at zero-daylight-thirty. Makes a heck of a racket, and can also be heard all over the neighborhood. I did a bit of research to learn that it was a method employed by the male in an effort to attract females. They will usually find a phone pole or tree that resonates quite well, but in my case, and the other two mentioned here, they chose a metallic object that they found suitable.

Roger
I seriously wanted to give him a lead enema.....