Baja DB30 97cc motor ?

Hello everyone new to the forum and the mini bike world... Just picked up a baja db30s with a stock baja 97cc motor. At first it wouldn't start pulled carb and cleaned it out had a little jell in the boil so I can tell it hasn't been ran in some time ..there is 2 levers one looks the the throttle stop and the other is under a small gold plate on the carb that are broke not sure what the sec one does the motor runs and sounds fine but has very little power if any on hills it go's ok on flat ground I'm 190lbs so is it the carb maybe the clutch that I should replace or is it just to small of motor and I should be thinking about a up-grade motor like the predator motor from HF. I would like to stay with the stock motor but have a few hills around me and want to enjoy the bike around the house here.. Thanks for any help.

Ron

Welcome to the forum. Most people use those motors for boat anchors:laugh::laugh: Put a predator motor from harbor freight in the bike and you will have a great ride. That stock engine would barely pull me and I'm only 120 lbs.

I bought two DB30's a few years ago. Both got new motors fairly quickly. One got a Predator and the other got a GX390.

The little 97's are good motors for little kids. And boat anchors.

Hello everyone new to the forum and the mini bike world... Just picked up a baja db30s with a stock baja 97cc motor. At first it wouldn't start pulled carb and cleaned it out had a little jell in the boil so I can tell it hasn't been ran in some time ..there is 2 levers one looks the the throttle stop and the other is under a small gold plate on the carb that are broke not sure what the sec one does the motor runs and sounds fine but has very little power if any on hills it go's ok on flat ground I'm 190lbs so is it the carb maybe the clutch that I should replace or is it just to small of motor and I should be thinking about a up-grade motor like the predator motor from HF. I would like to stay with the stock motor but have a few hills around me and want to enjoy the bike around the house here.. Thanks for any help.

Ron
The second lever under the gold plate is probably your fuel shutoff. I never use mine, so you should be fine. The choke sticker may be on backwards. I know it sounds crazy, but check to make sure that the carb is open when the sticker says off. Many of these engines had the sticker on backwards from the factory.

The motor is terribly weak. I bought a predator from HF, but they are probably too much motor for a young kid. Mine has thrown me, and I've been riding motorcycles for a long time. If you're "sharing" this bike with your kids (that's what I told my wife) you'll be better off investing in a jack shaft kit. I think PMR has a nice setup for the 97cc. Google jack shaft for doodlebug, and I'm sure you'll find it. It's cheap enough, and it seems to be used by a lot if guys on here. If the bike is for you, invest in the predator. I'm warning you, speed can be expensive, and you may find yourself looking for ways to go faster. These motors are really fun and easy to build up. Have fun, and welcome aboard!

Hey thanks for the help everyone.. I have two bikes one with no motor may keep that one for myself (don't tell the wife)lol and let the kids have the 97cc baja. My son road the baja for the first time and it moved really good he's half my size it had just the right amount of power for the young guys.
If I buy a predator motor kinda worried about the size and it hitting the back tire
Will it just drop right in and work? Not really looking to up-grade right-away.

Here is a pic of my two bikes baja pulled out of a barn.
The sec one don't know what it is called but pulled it out of knee high grass
A little paint and some new hardware and that's the point I'm at.
Looks like a found a new hobby pretty fun working and ridding on the little bikes!!

Last edited: