Baja MB165 governor removed question

Well i have removed the governor, but now the bike seems to take alittle bit to get started. Anyone have any good suggestion to making this bike start alittle better? Because as of right now, it takes sometimes up to 5+ pulls before it will start, and i have to give it alittle throttle for it to stay started after the engine first fires.

use choke 3/4 closed on starting .works on my clone that is stock with no gov
Because when its a cold start, I use full choke for first pull, and then if it doesn't start i go about half choke, and i just repeat them steps again till i get it started. I just wonder what exactly causes the motor not to want to start correctly with the governor removed. It makes no sense to me. Because I put a return spring on it so the bike doesn't go wide open when started.

So im guessing there is nothing else besides messing with the choke to get the bike to start faster or better? I mean i don't mind spending alittle $$, if i can make the bike start better. I just hate having to pull 5+ times to get it started everytime i leave the bike off for a few minutes.

Well I don't know what exactly the governor does besides limit the bike to around 3600rpm's. But to start the bike i have to have full choke on all the time, even when the motor is warm.

try cracking the throttle a bit when you're pulling it. that usually works for me.

if you don't have a billet rod installed yet, get one.

try cracking the throttle a bit when you're pulling it. that usually works for me.

Yeah as of right now to start my bike i have to, stand on left side of bike hold my hand on the brake, reach over make sure bike is full choke, pull 2-3 till bike starts, and hit throttle arm on engine alittle, and bike stays started after that. Im just not use to having to use full choke at all times, even when bike is warm. Because governor isn't there to make throttle open on pull start for easy starting.

MiniBike Paul

Originally Posted by Strigoi

Strigoi; I am convinced that you must own stock in the company that makes the billet rods! Why don't you push on the flywheels as hard??

Has anybody on here really ever seen a rod hurt a rider?? Or a flywhhel explode??

Are you sure the cam is right?
If your one tooth out one way or the other it willstart and run but it can be realy hard to start
No the cam is right both dots on the gears matched perfectly. Like the other guy said with the governor still there the bike starts with the throttle open, but when you removed the governor, you have to put a return spring on so it doesn't run wide open. So now when its off, and you try to start it, the throttle is sitting at idle. Thats the reason why as soon as the bike starts, I have to give it alittle throttle to stay started, and the bike runs fine after that.

Originally Posted by Strigoi

Strigoi; I am convinced that you must own stock in the company that makes the billet rods! Why don't you push on the flywheels as hard??

Has anybody on here really ever seen a rod hurt a rider?? Or a flywhhel explode??
i've seen a rod go through a block (flathead) and with the Honda/clone engines they go out the top. i sure as hell don't want a chunk of screaming hot metal coming up and hitting me in the chest or face. it took 20 minutes before one of the chunks was cool enough to touch (that flew out of the engine).

flywheels also break.

4 Cycle Karting Forums - A WIFE'S WARNING

4 Cycle Karting Forums - Exploded flywheel

i'm looking after the safety of our members that don't know better. spending the money on a rod and flywheel is going to be cheaper than the ER bill.

The number of people that cheap out on an engine build justs make me hang my head.

Its not a realy big deal to spend a bit more money to buy better parts.

Some will tell you if you don't spin the flywheel up to 6000 rpm its fine. Some will say they don't need a billet rod becasue they are not making that much power.

Just consider the "what if's".....
What if your throttle sticks and you loose traction?
What if you stressed some parts and then age and fail?
What if there is a hidden defect in the parts you have?

Lots of what if's.....
Would you drive a car with what if brakes ?
Do you own a Toyota or Nissan?
Lots of what if's there since the trueth has come out and they realy don't build the greatest cars in the world anymore.

What if may never happen to you but then again it may.

SO.....
What if I get hurt and can't work for a while because a cheap Chinese part broke and did some nerve damage to my leg or hand?
What if I drive like an idiot and suffer a head injury?
What if I slip on the ice out in the drive way and break my hip?

Well, I don't know how a lot of younger people think today but you should be looking for ways to reduce your exposer to "what if's". You can't live your life in fear wearing buble wrap overalls but if you fook yourself up. If you can't work OR worse even for a short length of time spending a couple of hundred dollars for bilet parts will seem very cheap and foolish.

SAFETY IS NOT A THING YOU DO!
ITS A WAY YOU DO A THING.....

I'm realy tired of all the this now.
I have a lot more to worry about than foolish people.
I got the feeling I might just leave this forum i'm so tired of it.....

Ok one minute you guys say replace the stock rod with a billet rod, then you say replace the stock rod, and flywheel. So are you guys saying both need to be replaced after governor removal? How much will it run you to buy both parts? is this the kind of rod we need or a different one? Comet Kart Sales - Briggs Billet Rod, ARC, Bearing Insert, Animal Billet Rod and Flathead
There are thousands of these engines running across the country on go karts in a class called BOX STOCK In this class the engines are ran stock, governor removed using stock flywheels, connecting rods, and valve springs.

Yes but the stock vlaves float around 5500 - 5800 rpm and the stock carb limits the engine too.

Add a big carb, header and 18 springs and you have created some thing that is NOT BSP.

Second mini bikes are gear different and ridden in places where the engine scan be rev high than 6000 rpm even in stock form.

Ever drive down a hill full pin just to see how fast you can go?

Yes but the stock vlaves float around 5500 - 5800 rpm and the stock carb limits the engine too.

Add a big carb, header and 18 springs and you have created some thing that is NOT BSP.

Second mini bikes are gear different and ridden in places where the engine scan be rev high than 6000 rpm even in stock form.

Ever drive down a hill full pin just to see how fast you can go?
Sorry Oldschool, the timing of my post and it being right after yours may seem contradicting. That was not the intent. Just wanted to post up facts to the original poster. My stance is not to advocate safety or recklessness but for adult mini bike riders to accept responsibility for how they build and ride. Hey, Oldschool how about these athletes, Gold medals on home turf. Good times eh...

Olympics are the biggest waste of time and money if you ask me.

There are hungery people in our own country, bridges that need fixing roads that need patching and important matters of goverment prorogued because the politicians want to live in dream land and ignor the reality of our plight.

As for the adult safety thing you may have a point. Not so many years ago the mechanics on my shift and I used to race Toyota land cruisers on the steepest ramp you will ever see. We waited until shift change when the road crew would spray a tackifire ( probably spelled wrong ) and we would drive like terroists. The ramp was so sticky you have to pull your boots off as you walked and the jeeps would not slide or skid much at all. I think I hold the record for 4000 to 2800 feet ( bellow sea level the deisels didn't even breath hard ) and back again in 14 minuts at an average of 70 kph

Ever drive a 4wdr locked in low range 5 gears and lo limiter down a 18% grade and back up full throttle no mercy? We did and it was insain to drive that hard that fast through all the turns. WE even used to lay on crawlers and roll down a 1/4 mile section of the ramp and time it to see who was fastest.

Why?
We were young, suposedly responsible adults, and completely nuts....
I left my wild years behind and think no one else should have any fun because I smartened up lol