Band Brake install on a Bonanza Chopper

The direction the clutch is traveling has nothing to do with the brake.
Actually it is backwards or (inside out) The anchor was designed to be at the top with the cable behind... Being the way it is in the photo you would want the cable ABOVE the mounting bolt, That would be running the right direction.. The band is supposed too be (SPOOLING ON ) like a cable spool or hose real or something..

I agree with not starting a pissing match either.. And when you pull the band tight onto the drum.. It's going to drag it to a stop.... But the directions on how to install the clutch, or any minibike to ever use one, will come with the band rolling the other direction.. :shrug:

Guys I received an email from Scooterboy (great guy by the way) last night to discuss this and here is the message I replied with..

Hahaha..yeah no need to argue. I have several bikes with clutch band brakes, set up several different ways. Some set up the traditional way as you have described below and several set up with the band either upside down or even cocked.

I do understand what you guys are trying to say in that the clutch is traveling in the direction the band is closing...on the "traditional setup".

In fact I can honestly say, I prefer it setup with the band upside down or slightly cocked with the band still closing opposite of the "traditional" way.
The reason...with the band closing in the direction the clutch is traveling, it has a VERY strong tendency to simply close up quickly...The result is virtually no adjustment or "fine tuning".

Mounted the opposite way, and using a brake lever with adjustment capability the brake can be fine tuned very nicely.
I know it seems a bit ass backwards, but honestly I really don't think there is a right or wrong way. I do know I REALLY like this particular brake setup and I have a REALLY easy way to mount one to a Tec H35,H40 or HS40, if you would ever like to try it.

Hope it makes sense and will help clarify my opinion a bit.

Last edited:
Guys I received an email from Scooterboy (great guy by the way) last night to discuss this and here is the message I replied with..

Hahaha..yeah no need to argue. I have several bikes with clutch band brakes, set up several different ways. Some set up the traditional way as you have described below and several set up with the band either upside down or even cocked.

I do understand what you guys are trying to say in that the clutch is traveling in the direction the band is closing...on the "traditional setup".

In fact I can honestly say, I prefer it setup with the band upside down or slightly cocked with the band still closing opposite of the "traditional" way.
The reason...with the band closing in the direction the clutch is traveling, it has a VERY strong tendency to simply close up quickly...The result is virtually no adjustment or "fine tuning".

Mounted the opposite way, and using a brake lever with adjustment capability the brake can be fine tuned very nicely.
I know it seems a bit ass backwards, but honestly I really don't think there is a right or wrong way. I do know I REALLY like this particular brake setup and I have a REALLY easy way to mount one to a Tec H35,H40 or HS40, if you would ever like to try it.

Hope it makes sense and will help clarify my opinion a bit.

:laugh: Yeah that was my guesstamate too.. :laugh: I never did one backwards but was thinking DAMN maybe it would actually work better.. :shrug: They are pretty touchy damn things.. :hammer: I'm gonna do the Minimate backwards I think.. I'm sold.. :thumbsup: The tires on that thing LOVE to slide anyway.. I can't image that band break grabbing it to a stop back there.. :blink:

125ccCrazy

The clutch brakes work good but I prefer rear wheel brakes, with the clutch brake if the chain breaks or pops you have no brakes plus it's harder on the chain with the rear wheel trying to push the chain when the brake is trying to stop it... Some of the smaller bikes are limited to these set ups but if I can squeeze a drum or rotor brake set up between the frame rails that what I prefer to do.

I have my Ruttman set up with the band set the "traditional" way, as in it turns (closes) in the same direction as the clutch and I love it. It is a little snappy, but I can control it just fine.:thumbsup: As for the chain falling off, I use good quality chain and everything is straight so that's not an issue. My buddys little three wheeler has the band going the opposite way, and even with a ton of brake pressure it still stops like crap. I prefer them the traditional way, but to each his own.

dont feel bad,i went from rags to riches and back to rags,but its all good!
No harm meant:thumbsup:. I was just wondering if that was an easier way or something. I'm in the process of making one and was just looking for tips. I couldn't tell if the angle iron was used in the process or not.

Tim